Jeanie's Reviews > Counterfeit Gods: The Empty Promises of Money, Sex, and Power, and the Only Hope that Matters

Counterfeit Gods by Timothy J. Keller

Mar 15, 2011

bookshelves: serious-about-god-theology
Read from April 21 to 23, 2011

This book is helpful to any christian. It is much needed in our world today with all that is happening, economic, relationships, cultural differences and even political. Our country alone, we are divided. Maybe we are divided because our hearts divided because of our idols. This book helps you identify your idols, how to replace your idols (you can never remove them, for they grow back) and gives you examples from the bible that give you another insight to God's redemptive plan. I was very pleased to see a Love of God that is for each of us as we stuggle with our idols. This is what helps replace your idols instead of trying to remove them. Their is a process and part of that process is time. This book is like a heart check. How does my heart check. Well it has its good days and it's bad days and when the bad days come I have a remedy and it's Jesus. One of those heart check is on repentance; if my repentance is out of fear, I hate my self, if it is out joy, I hate my sin.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Counterfeit Gods.

04/21/2011 page 22
9.0% "Instead of loving someone to much, it's probably more loving God to little in relationship with them. Central principal of the bible is rejection of idolatry. Is God an end to means. Because I have God, I can live without you."
04/22/2011 page 66
28.0% "Money changes everything..Take the Rich Ruler and how he came to Jesus. What must I do to get into the Kingdom of Heaven, I already keep this commandment and Zacchaeus wanted to see who Jesus was to he undignified himself and climbed a tree"