Al's Reviews > My Perfect Wedding

My Perfect Wedding by Sibel Hodge

Mar 15, 2011

bookshelves: kindle, read-2011

I found the main character, Helen, an endearing, yet at times frustrating (even infuriating) character. She’s a smart and successful woman, yet she continually makes shortsighted and obviously incorrect decisions. In addition, her luck is so terrible that even somewhat harmless thing still backfire. Helen and her fiancé haven’t made it on their plane in the first chapter before security is detaining them as suspected terrorists due to a couple practical jokes gone wrong.

The other main characters also add spice to the story. Helen’s fiancé, Kaleem, alternates between a foil for Helen’s questionable actions and a partner in crime. Kaleem’s uncle appears to be a Mediterranean Redneck, but eventually showed I’d underestimated him. Kaleem’s parents are sick in their hotel room most of the book, yet provide an ongoing joke regarding the number of condoms they’re using. We’ve got a few villains, some friends of the couple-to-be, and even some celebrities round out what would be described as an ensemble cast were this a TV show.

After the airport episode, things continue going downhill for Helen. There is mystery, suspense, a touch of terror, and plenty of chances to shake your head and laugh while saying, “Helen, what are you thinking?”

How you’ll react to My Perfect Wedding is largely dependent on your sense of humor. If you prefer something sly and subtle that sneaks up on you this might sometimes seem too over-the-top. For many of us, it’s full of laughs.

**Originally written for "Books and Pals" book blog.**
1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read My Perfect Wedding.