Kiki's Reviews > City of Fallen Angels

City of Fallen Angels by Cassandra Clare

it was ok
bookshelves: angels-and-demons, ya, decent-vampires, werewolves, lost-the-will-to-live
Recommended to Kiki by: Downworlders
Recommended for: Shadowhunters
Read 2 times. Last read April 9, 2011 to April 14, 2011.

Okay, let me level with you. Just to put this review into perspective, I'd like to make it common knowledge that I gave all three of the books in the Mortal Instruments five feckin' stars. I loved them. I was not blind to their flaws, and they are not literary masterpieces, but they were far too much fun for me to care about what was wrong with them. For the first time in so long I was able to just sit back and not cringe or roll my eyes or make any backhanded comments about the pathetic characters. I took to the Shadowhunters, dug the storyline, and zipped through all of the books within two weeks with a grin on my face the entire time.

So what on earth happened here?

I was absolutely pumped when I found out that the awesome City Of Glass was not the end of the series. PUMPED. I waited, with baited breath, to rush out to Coles and get my newest fix, partly because I needed me some more Jace and partly because I needed me some more sexy fun time with Magnus and Alec.

Oh, boy, was I wrong about that!

The writing didn't disappoint me that much, but I'm not going to spend much time debating the ins and outs of Cassie's prose. If you want to what my opinion is on the way she writes go check out my review of City of Bones.

Let's backtrack here.

Things in this world today that irritate me:

a) Lite-brites
b) Misogynists
c) Mini Pop Kids
d) Scabs on my ears
e) Fall Out Boy scaring us with a huge unnecessary hiatus

See that? See those normal, annoying things that I am perfectly entitled to be annoyed about?

Now, the reason why I state these things is to convince you that I am not an angry, pissy person with unreasonable standards, and to firmly convey the fact that since I am not an angry, pissy person with unreasonable standards, this is in no way a bitchy, over-the-top hissy fit. Though it may look and sound exactly like a bitchy, over-the-top hissy fit in every single conceivable way, I can assure you, this is not a bitchy, over-the-top hissy fit.

rant/

What the fucking fuck happened here? What the actual HELL is this book's deal? What is wrong with Cassie? Did she begin daytime drinking?

Jace has become an aggressively boring Cullen knock-off with some kind of lame-ass inferiority complex that actually dares manifest itself in the form of "don't come near me, I'm dangerous". Like, are you shitting me with this? You're actually going to get up on a soapbox and admit to the world that you've stopped trying, Cassie? It's like she's not even ashamed of the fact that this series has devolved from a solid fantasy quest to a huge screaming shitstorm of teenage feelings and internet in-jokes that were barely funny on Windows '98 and are cracked with the same enthusiasm as a dead cat has toward the concrete floor it rots on. Like you actually expect me to sit here and enjoy reading about Jace's sad yet rippling muscles and Clary's sad red hair and all their sad, sad love that belongs in the YA bargain bin along with Luce/Daniel, Nora/Patch, Beth/Xavier and the rest of the motley cheesemance crew. Just don't even provoke me. Don't approach me and start a conversation about this appalling excuse for a power couple. I'll just start swearing offensively.

And where the fuck were Alec and Magnus? They didn't make an appearance until chapter fucking twelve, and the cardboard cut-outs that waded through the nothingness that is this book's plot were shadows of the characters I fell in love with in previous installments. What happened to Alec? He's a prick! What happened to Magnus? He's a bore! What happened to this pairing? They're dull as shit! What the hell makes Clare think that anybody would want to read about two people revolving blankly around each other and recycling the same conversation over and over and over again and eventually coming to no conclusion but "we'll cross that bridge when we come to it". How is that even anything? How does that make any sense at all? How does it make any sense to keep Magnus and Alec absent until chapter twelve even though they're two of the most popular characters in the whole series? They rake in fans like nobody's business and I actually recall talking to one of my friends about this series and us both agreeing that the only reason we were even pursuing it further than COG was the promise of Magnus and Alec's relationship, which has stopped being touching and heartfelt and started being weird and mildly creepy since Alec started behaving like a kid and Magnus an old fart. I don't get it! I don't!

Then we have the plot which is like the Overture on the Sound Of Music DVD. Nobody gives a shit about it, it may as well not be there, and honestly the best thing to do is to just fast-forward through it. What even happens? Everyone stands around talking, Clare describes everyone's clothing, and then there are demon babies and Lilith and that's when I stop giving a tiny rat's ass about my loyalty to this series because when you break the Rule of Abeko, you break my interest in defending your shit. So basically, the plot was balls. The whole thing was balls. It was like a big glass of distilled water. It looks like nothing and tastes like nothing and it's so utterly devoid of substance that it may as well not exist at all.

How glad am I to see Sebastian back? No, not very. Okay, I'll go with it because I guess it sort of passes as a new story arc, but by the way this thing ended I'm expecting some shitty inner monologue where Jace whines about not being able to control himself and what did I say about Mormon vampires?

Don't get me started on the whole Simon/Maia/Isabelle thing. The less said about that the better. I'm just so done with all of these simpering caricatured characters. There is absolutely no substance left to them. They're like those wacky waving inflatable arm flailing tube men posted in front of car dealerships - they're really tall and loud and there are a lot of colours to look at but when you really think about it, they're really fucking pointless and they don't look jazzy or cool, they just look really stupid, standing in the same spot and thrashing their limbs like dying bumblebees. Make it stop!

I'm literally gasping for breath right now. Thank all the gods of this ugly earth that I can shut the back cover of this book and never ever open it again on pain of death.

/rant

Bonus Time!

I'm Al Harrington!

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read City of Fallen Angels.

Finished Reading
March 15, 2011 – Shelved
April 2, 2011 – Shelved as: angels-and-demons
April 2, 2011 – Shelved as: ya
April 2, 2011 – Shelved as: decent-vampires
April 2, 2011 – Shelved as: werewolves
April 9, 2011 – Started Reading
page 9
2.12% "WHAT THE FUCK SIMON? Now YOUZ iz a playa!"
page 19
4.48% "OH MY GOD OH MY GOD OH MY GOD! WTF is Camille doing back? Alec had better run like a bat outta hell..."
page 38
8.96% ""I think Alec kicked himself in the head once." Okay, I just soiled myself, partly because that is so ROFL, and partly because that is so ALEC."
April 10, 2011 –
page 140
33.02% "Okay, a) I knew that was coming, and b) WHERE THE FUCK ARE ALEC AND MAGNUS? Yes, I know all the sex must be a bit of a hold-up, but come on, guys, it just ain't the same without you!"
April 11, 2011 –
page 188
44.34% "Isabelle: I was just looking for Simon. Me: Isabelle, he's busy eating Maureen. Give him a minute, will you? (Oh, and since when did Simon become so freaking badass? Hells yeah!)"
April 12, 2011 –
page 233
54.95% "What did I just realize? Okay, so Malik and Kadir are brothers in this book, and they are Shadowhunters. I RECALL TWO SYRIAN ASSASSINS GOING BY THR NAMES OF MALIK AND KADIR, AND BEING BROTHERS TOO! Oh, Cassie! I know your fandoms, chick, and you made the right choice with AC."
April 12, 2011 –
page 252
59.43% "ALEC, GUYS DON'T LIKE THAT KIND OF SHIT! How many people have you been with? That's called CLINGY, darling. (Not that I'm not TOTALLY EFFING STOKED that Magnus and Alec are finally back. Yay!)"
April 13, 2011 –
page 380
89.62% "*forehead smack* Oh, here we are again with the Lilith bashing. Does nobody see the flaw in this? Jesus wept... (Oh, and also, I wish everyone would quit being sketchy and just TELL ALEC WHAT HE NEEDS TO DO TO BECOME IMMORTAL. Can you say FRUSTRATING?)"
April 14, 2011 – Finished Reading
July 16, 2011 – Shelved as: lost-the-will-to-live

Comments Showing 1-50 of 66 (66 new)

message 1: by Sandy (new) - added it

Sandy Seriously! Why did they show Clary's face? She looked so much better from the chin down on the City of Ashes cover. This cover kind of ruined it for me--she just looks kind of...strange.

message 2: by Sandy (new) - added it

Sandy Oh, man, Cillian! Your teasers about this letter having me going crazy to read it. You've got to tell us tomorrow when you have your copy what's in it.

message 3: by [deleted user] (new)

Cillian wrote: "15 effen boxes of CoFA, and all I want is to do grab you, Mocha, Kira and Hana Joy and roll on them together!"

T_T I want to read the letter, dammit!

Kiki FUCK, CILLIAN! You're killing me here, you Iblis demon, you!

Type it!

I cannot believe CoFA is out tomorrow, kittens, I really can't. And you know what else sucks? I don't have the cash to run out and buy it. Though I do still have Clockwork Angel to read, and Cassie said you should read that one first, so it'll give me a hit till I get paid.

Oh, the tortured life of a snarky reviewer! WOE!

Kiki OH, THANK GOD!

Smart 16!

message 6: by Sandy (new) - added it

Sandy THANK. YOU. CILLIAN.

Thank you, thank you, thank you!!!

message 7: by Sandy (new) - added it

Sandy Kira, I have one word for you:

JEM.

I don't usually cheer for the sweet, sensitive, thoughtful type in Clare's love triangles, but oh, man...JEM.

Enjoy Clockwork Angel!

Kiki LOLLIPOP, YOU GUYS ARE KILLING ME!

(Note: my swearing has gotten out of hand, so I have replaced the word 'fuck' with 'lollipop'.)

Oh, Sandy, my darling, I will. But you guys! I haven't even finished CoG. THOUGH! I did read the part with the OMG Magnus and Alec kiss and OMG it was lollipopping awesome. LOLLIPOP!

Now I want to read CA, like, right lollipopping now! EEK!

message 9: by [deleted user] (new)

I wish there were some super hot scenes of Magnus lollipoping Alec.

Wait...that sounded...odd. Hah <--serial pervert.

message 10: by [deleted user] (new)

Lol, what`d I do?

message 11: by [deleted user] (new)

Mocha ღ wrote: "I wish there were some super hot scenes of Magnus lollipoping Alec.

Wait...that sounded...odd. Hah <--serial pervert."

And OMG Mocha ! xD You PERV

message 12: by Kiki (new) - rated it 2 stars

Kiki OH, MOCHA! How I wish that too!

We do now have another three books left, so you never know...it may take a turn for the ZOMG SOUTH CAROLINA!

(One can dream...)

message 13: by Kiki (new) - rated it 2 stars

Kiki There is no pervertedness in Magnus lollipopping Alec. Only supreme joy.

message 14: by [deleted user] (new)

We can only pray. *daydreams about M+A* heheee

message 15: by [deleted user] (new)

Lol !

message 16: by [deleted user] (new)

*Sigh* Jace...why aren't you real?

message 17: by Sandy (new) - added it

Sandy CILLIAN, THANK YOU!!!

message 18: by Kiki (new) - rated it 2 stars

Kiki Oh, my God...Jace, Jace, Jace! I'll never be mad at you again! FORGIVE ME!

BB, you are an angel food cake. Thank you eternally for making me gaze with unadulterated love at my copies of the books while wishing Jace was real, like a true tween. Oh, my!

Oh, and I finished City of Glass. The ending was lollipopping awesome. Honestly, I cried a little, just because it was all so beautiful. OH, JACE!

message 19: by [deleted user] (new)

Imagine the rest of us reading it when it originally came out. We were crying because we thought it was officially over. But i'm glad she decided to have 3 more.

message 20: by Kiki (new) - rated it 2 stars

Kiki I know! I only actually discovered these books like, last month. It must have been torture thinking they were over!

message 21: by Sandy (new) - added it

Sandy Kira, I was waiting for forever for you to read the part where they find out they're not brother and sister. I kept checking your status updates, awaiting the moment you read the big reveal.

(Did you already know? Unfortunately, I accidentally read a spoiler before I even picked up City of Bones, so I always knew while reading the series.)

message 22: by Kiki (new) - rated it 2 stars

Kiki Well, I hear there are people complaining, but Cassie told us that she's not going to drag out anything from the last three books. The sequels are now set in a whole new story arc, like a separate trilogy.

LOLLIPOP, NOW I WANT IT SO BAD I COULD DIE!

But not before I read it. Oh, and did anyone think that maybe there was a little open-endedness in the way Sebastian Jonathan's body was never found? I bet he's still alive. OH MY!

BB, I wish I had been there to comfort you in that drastic time of despair. God, I feel lucky to have read them at this late time. I was so stoked after CoG, I was literally gasping with relief that I wasn't going to have to let go of all my beloved Shadowhunters (and a warlock).

message 23: by [deleted user] (new)

Ryuk wrote: "Well, I hear there are people complaining, but Cassie told us that she's not going to drag out anything from the last three books. The sequels are now set in a whole new story arc, like a separate ..."

You need to pick up Clockwork Angel, too. LOVE LOVE LOVE! Will & Jem...yum.

message 24: by Kiki (new) - rated it 2 stars

Kiki I just hope the Infernal Devices is enough to keep me going in those dark periods in between...plus, Passion is coming out, so at least I can busy myself by ripping it apart and stamping on it in my reviews!

message 25: by [deleted user] (new)

Beyond Birthday wrote: "Mocha, should we start cursing cliff hangers or is it too soon?
*Wink*"

Yes, we must! I don't want to wait another year, it's driving me crazy!
CITY OF LOST SOULS, HURRY UP! CLIFF HANGERS LOLLIPOPPING SUCK!

message 26: by Kiki (new) - rated it 2 stars

Kiki Oh, BB, darling--I LIVE to drive you crazy. It's what I do best, kitten.

message 27: by [deleted user] (new)

Ryuk, i hope you publish your book. I'd love to read it.

message 28: by Kiki (new) - rated it 2 stars

Kiki OH, BB! I want to see this fantabulous wall scroll! God, you guys are so lollipopping cool, I feel like a total loser here. *facepinch*

And jeez, me too. My friend got out her death note notebook in media the other day and I randomly screamed with laughter. Yeah, she thinks I'm insane now.

I think I'll be finished in a couple of month's time, but then there's a long period where I comb it over, page by page, editing and changing it until it's polished enough to send to an agent. I've already written a query letter and a pitch, but I'm not sending it out until my manuscript is done. It's more appealing to agents when they hear that you're ready to publish right away, rather than your novel just being an idea in your head.

message 29: by Kiki (new) - rated it 2 stars

Kiki Oh, and Mocha, darling, I hope I do get it published so you all can read it! I cannot WAIT to see the GR reviews. Honestly, I am bouncing off the walls to hear what critics have to say.

message 30: by Kiki (new) - rated it 2 stars

Kiki I won't either. I'd like to bruise her for the sketchiness and late appearances of Magnus and Alec. And for making Jace into some kind of Edward Cullen wannabe. Oh, GOD.

message 31: by Kiki (new) - rated it 2 stars

Kiki Oh, God, BB, I'm dying here. Jace put my nose right out of joint. He's like Brad Pitt; when he finds a woman, he goes all domesticated and mellow.

Except Brad Pitt is less annoying than Jace.

message 32: by [deleted user] (new)

DEATH TO EDWARD CULLEN!!!
He's infecting our poor Jace! We must rid the world of this evil!

ps. Let us take down Stephanie Meyer too while we're at it.

message 33: by [deleted user] (new)

Here, use this to be rid of it.

Send it back to the fiery depths of hell in which it came from!

Annie Argh, that's depressing, I was really looking forward to this one! I'll still probably buy it because these books are crack, but still ...

message 35: by Kiki (new) - rated it 2 stars

Kiki It's a terrible shame, but don't let me make you boycott the book, my dear! There were a lot of annoying things about it, but not enough to make me advise you to stay clear. It's just about worth reading even if it is a disappointment.

Wendy Darling It's got its flaws for sure, but still lots of fun. :) I really dislike the cover, though--her eyes are really weird and she looks like a fembot. Not the Austin Powers kind, the old school Bionic Woman kind.

message 37: by Kiki (new) - rated it 2 stars

Kiki Lol, fembot! Thanks, Wendy. You're awesome.

Svetlana Awesome review! Couldn't write it better!

message 39: by Penny (new) - rated it 1 star

Penny Three stars? So you liked it? Because I hate to say it but it sure doesn't sound like you liked the vast majority of his book. Just sayin'.

message 40: by Steph (new) - rated it 1 star

Steph Sinclair I loved the review! But I'm surprised you gave it 3 stars.

Svetlana I'm really looking forward to your bonus time!!!Throw
us some more of your rant,please.And one more thing!!! Maybe somebody could explain to me( I guess my mind just went numb) but as much as I like Simon something just feels wrong. I mean when he drunk Jace's blood he became a daylighter (we all know that)but when he drunk Sebastian's blood ...he just got a little sick?????? Seriously??? The demons blood is running through his veins and he just threw up??? Thats it????? WTF???

message 42: by Steph (new) - rated it 1 star

Steph Sinclair Svetlana wrote: "I'm really looking forward to your bonus time!!!Throw

Ya that part had me going:
Photobucket

message 43: by John (new) - rated it 1 star

John Egbert I won't even try to understand the ending. Clare herself said it was supposed to be as confusing as heck. But what she doesn't get is that if your ending is confusing, it isn't clever -- it's bad writing -o-

message 44: by Kiki (last edited Apr 29, 2011 12:34PM) (new) - rated it 2 stars

Kiki Severus, I agree. Nothing should be confusing in a book, only complex and mysterious. Confusing equals annoyed readers and/or a half-assed job at stretching out a plot that makes no sense.

BB! My darling dear! We do agree! I'm not willing to give up on my love for this series yet, dammit! Though if CoHF ends up being shitty, we'll bury it in the nearest cemetery and go cry into our Kleenex wearing our white Shadowhunter mourning clothes.

Oh, GOSHNESS! Frappuccino! Hey, does this mean that we can also go have a celebratory frappuccino if it turns out to be awesome?

message 45: by Varsha (new) - added it

Varsha So, help me clear the confusion. This book is not about Simon? Wasn't that the original plan? Frankly I am relieved. I wasn't planning to read this one before. Now I think I need to.

message 46: by Kiki (new) - rated it 2 stars

Kiki It was supposed to be about Simon, but it ended up spiralling into multiple narratives. There were large sections of Clary, some of Jace, some Isabelle, so on and so forth.

Svetlana Beyond Birthday wrote: "I mean when he drunk Jace's blood he became a daylighter (we all know that)but when he drunk Sebastian's blood ...he just got a little sick?????? Seriously??? The demons blood is running through hi..."

Yes! I remember,that Jace has angel blood and that's why Simon became a daylighter. To my comprehention different blood has different power! So if by drinking angels blood a vampire becomes a daylighter than, by logic ,drinking demons blood vampire suppose to get more than just a little sick!!!

Svetlana Beyond Birthday wrote: "True, although, the impression I got is that he was a lot more than a little sick... Coughing black goo, almost dying sort of sick."

Well,not to be mean to Simon ( I love him ) I thought he will become at least normal again. Just to be fair to the power of demon blood.

Joy (Cheery♡Reads) I completely agree. I was so hyped with all the CoFA hoo-has and even pre-ordered the signed edition. Yep, I was that crazy. It effing took almost 2 months for it to reach me (I live in Malaysia) as opposed to the stated 20 days. I thought it got lost and emailed B&N. They refunded me (Thank god) and not long after the book FINALLY arrived, which means I got it for free. Lucky me. I browsed through and the novelty soon wore off after the 2 freakin months of waiting. CoFA was a step down from the previous 3. Jace really did turn into a Cullen-ly sop and Clary became all lovelorn and whiny. Simon was still my only savior. I comforted myself that I didn't spend a dime on it.

Alicia Did this book kind of read like a soap opera to anyone else? It was so back-and-forth that it was kind of hard to keep track of WTF was going on.. I liked it.. I didn't LURVE it like the previous 3 books but alas, I will read the next 2 as

« previous 1