Lisa Vegan's Reviews > Time Zones

Time Zones by David A. Adler

Mar 15, 2011

bookshelves: childrens, nature, non-fiction, social-culture, reviewed, history
Recommended for: kids wanting to learn about or better understand the practicality & history of time zones

I reserved this book at the same time I reserved a book I read a few days ago: When It's Six O'Clock in San Francisco: A Trip Through Time Zones.

Personally, as an adult, I could have done without the “this information is brought to you by” man in spaceship with a (very cute) dog and some aliens sort of concept, and the cartoon style illustrations, even though I did like them.

But, this is an excellent information book about time zones. And there is information included about the history of how time zones were “invented” and decided on, how and why the demarcation points between them are not always straight lines, some about daylight savings time, the Greenwich prime meridian/the international date line, and other related topics. The maps are helpful, the clocks set to various times were helpful, and there is even an activity project kids can do to better understand time zones, particularly helpful if they have a globe though, as the book says, a ball be used.

The presentation of information is done in an interesting, and mostly clear, manner, and I think this book can help children understand time zones, although for younger children, I assume some might be confused even after reading this book and the other book I read/linked above.

My favorite part of the book was the history of why and how the twenty four time zones were created. There is even a real photograph of those attending the International Meridian Conference in Washington, D.C. in 1884.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Time Zones.

Lisa Vegan Abigail wrote: "So, if I'm remembering correctly, you gave the other one three stars... which means that you would recommend this one over that, no?"

I was thinking that as I was posting this review. I did give the other 3 stars = 3 1/2 stars. Ratings are so hard. I think I'd recommend them both. I did say 3 1/2 on the other book and I downgraded to 3. This one I say 4 but it might have been 3 1/2 upgraded to 4. Ah, mood is so important. They both had strengths and weaknesses. This one was slightly more complex but also gave better information, I thought. But the 2 together would be ideal. They're both good.

Lisa Vegan Abigail wrote: "Ah, OK - good to know! I'm not sure I'm motivated enough to track this one down, but I will definitely keep it in mind, if anyone ever asks me for a time-zone book recommendation! :)"

Yes, they're both worth reading, especially for kids first learning about time zones or who are a bit confused and need some further education.