Francisco's Reviews > The Iliad: A New Prose Translation

The Iliad by Homer

M 50x66

bookshelves: literature-top100, literature

First time I read the Iliad. I got three translations (Lattimore, Fagles, and Hammond), thinking that I would read parts from each of them, but after reading the first 50 pages from Hammond and comparing them with the other two translations, I couldn't go back.

Hammond's translation is in prose, however, and I feel like I was cheating. The Iliad is a poem, and it should be read like a poem, I suppose. But I was enjoying the prose version so much more than the other two... I do plan to revisit the Iliad and read it in verse, perhaps in parallel to the Hammond's prose version.

By the way, here's a nice blog entry that might help you decide which of three popular translations, in poem form, you want to read:

I did read the introductions to the Fagles and Lattimore translations, which are much better than the introduction to Hammond's version. I can't choose one of the introductions. Fagles is better at commenting on the characters, maybe, and Lattimore is better about the background to the Iliad. But they're both well worth reading.

A couple more things: I finished the book in awe of Achilleus. I found the bickering among the gods and goddesses most entertaining. The fighting sequences felt sometimes too long and repetitive (but perhaps that's intentional: to feel the weariness of battle?).

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Iliad.

February 11, 2016 – Started Reading