Violet's Reviews > A Traveler's Advisory

A Traveler's Advisory by Marcia Lee Laycock

bookshelves: review-requested, christian-living, non-fiction

In A Traveler's Advisory, author Marcia Laycock takes readers from the Arctic Circle to the jungles of Papua New Guinea and home again. Each of the 52 meditations draws spiritual lessons from a travel experience (sections are titled "In the Air," "On the Road," "On Vacation," and "Far Away Places") and make practical applications to life.

Written in Marcia's characteristic warm, easy-to-read style, they make for fascinating and uplifting reading. Some of my favorites:

- Most fun: "Sea Shells and the Process of Faith" (p. 111)—hunting for sea shells on a Papua New Guinea beach.

- Sadly relatable: "A Wrong Turn to the Right Place" (p. 34)— going in circles is not fun!

- Would make my bucket list: "Angels in the Badlands" (p. 71)—a visit to the Passion Play in the Alberta Badlands.

- Most scary: "Doubts in the Storm" (p. 41)—being stuck on a highway from the Yukon to Alaska in a snowstorm.

- Most beautiful: "Small Miracles" (p. 87)—a hike through the Sepik area of New Guinea.

- Most weird: "An Appreciation of Light" (p. 73)—a trek through some skeleton-filled caves, a relic of cannibalism, in New Guinea.

Through these devotions we discover that God's voice, help, direction, comfort, and protection can find us wherever we are.

A Traveler's Advisory would be a wonderful volume to read while on holiday. Or if home-bound, enjoy these travels vicariously from the safety and comfort of your reading chair. Your life will be enriched and your appreciation for the Earth and the God who made it enhanced.

I received a copy of A Traveler's Advisory from the author for the purpose of writing a review.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read A Traveler's Advisory.

Started Reading