Jilly's Reviews > Troublemaker: Surviving Hollywood and Scientology

Troublemaker by Leah Remini

bookshelves: 2016-machalo-reading-challenge, non-fiction

When I realized that I had to read a biography for my reading challenge with the Machalo chicks this year, I was like, "No, please God, No!! I hate biographies! Just strike me down instead! Take my first born child!"

Okay, maybe that was a little crazy. But, you know what's crazier? Scientology!

And, the weird thing is that she doesn't even talk about the alien part of the religion. Yet, it still comes off as bat-shit crazy - along with being an extremely dangerous cult.

This book will make you so angry that you will want to kill Tom Cruise with a roll of cookie dough. (It makes sense if you read the book... not that you need to make sense. This shit is bat-shit crazy.... plus, remember the jumping on the couch thing? Yeah, cookie-dough related murder is less crazy than Tom Cruise.)

The abusiveness of this "church" is scary. They are seriously dangerous to anyone who comes in contact with them and I hope that more and more ex-members get up the nerve to speak out against them. It seems like they are often afraid to do so, and even Leah was pretty soft in her language. I'm just really glad that she was able to get out of it and is helping others who are going through the same thing.

On the other hand, there is a lot of money to be made in starting a "religion" like this. Your average Scientologist is in for a half a million dollars by the time they make it to the top of bullshit mountain. Cha-ching!

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Troublemaker.

February 11, 2016 – Shelved
February 11, 2016 – Shelved as: to-read
March 31, 2016 – Started Reading
March 31, 2016 – Shelved as: 2016-machalo-reading-challenge
March 31, 2016 – Shelved as: non-fiction
March 31, 2016 – Finished Reading

Comments Showing 1-10 of 10 (10 new)

message 1: by Pearl (new)

Pearl Angeli Beautiful review, Ms. J. :)

✦❋Arianna✦❋ Great review, Jilly! ;)

Jilly Thank you, Pearl & Arianna! :)

message 4: by Samantha (new)

Samantha Clare Accidentally bought this, should I not have clicked "cancel order?"

Yodamom Can I join your cult ? LOL great review. I just got this on audio

Jilly Samantha - it was interesting, but maybe getting a library copy would be better. ;)

YM - yes, join us. We have cookies.

Yodamom Nom cookies :P

Jilly Yodamom wrote: "Nom cookies :P"

Number One best reason to join a cult ;)

Holly I thought the lack of alien mentions was interesting too. But the rest is crazy enough without that like you said

Jilly Holly wrote: "I thought the lack of alien mentions was interesting too. But the rest is crazy enough without that like you said"

Yeah, I think she went pretty easy on the belief system in general. I felt like her POV was more about being upset with the leadership than being unhappy with the religion and its beliefs.