Todd Tyrtle's Reviews > An Interrupted Life: The Diaries, 1941-1943; and Letters from Westerbork

An Interrupted Life by Etty Hillesum

Mar 15, 2011

Not a book that would have caught my attention were it on the shelves - I read this one entirely at a friend's suggestion. And even if I had picked it up on my own, I'm pretty sure that I would've given up in the first fifty or so pages, her relationship with 'S' seeming to dominate the story and truth be told, generating more than a few eye rolls on my part. However, that aspect of the book made what came that much more powerful. To see so much love, kindness, and strength in someone whom I judged at first to be tremendously boring and shallow really made me question my judgments of people in my own life. Very thought provoking. Thanks to my friend, Melissa for suggesting it.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read An Interrupted Life.

March 15, 2011 – Started Reading
March 15, 2011 – Shelved
March 15, 2011 –
page 13
3.46% "Just started this morning - the first randomly chosen book recommended by my friends on Facebook / Twitter. Having fun with it - I will definitely do more from the list when this is done."
March 29, 2011 –
page 102
27.13% "It's terrible to say but while interesting, I dislike the character so much it's being a difficult read. It's interesting, though, to note that being completely self-absorbed despite crazy things going on in the world around you is not a recent phenomenon. I'm pretty sure folks could say the same of mine and many other facebook/twitter posts in this day and age."
April 12, 2011 – Finished Reading