Juwi's Reviews > The Lazarus Effect

The Lazarus Effect by H.J. Golakai

Jun 18, 2016

Recommended for: crime, diverse books, crime set in Africa, badass female characters

This book is really good.

It starts of pretty slow and takes a while to get into, but then you're swept away into Vee's life and the investigation of Jacqueline Paulsen.

This book has plenty of well written female characters!!! I love Vee and Chloe and I definitely prefer Joshua Allen to Titus.

Monro is the best.

So this book follows Vee Johnson, a Liberian living in South Africa. She has to deal with PTSD since she hasn't acknowledged the traumas of the Liberian civil war so she is dealing with panic attacks and seizures and living in denial that everything is fine.

Then she sees this girl in a red cap while having a panic attack and when she sees a picture of that SAME GIRL she is like WTF?! so then she tries to open up the case of the missing girl. Vee is an investigative journalist and no one wants someone digging up old stories and ruining lives again?

anyways, so she has Chloe bishop, who is her new assistant to help her (i love and admire chloe) and i love their dynamic!

Vee's life is also pretty interesting what with her friend (more than friends?) Joshua Allen appearing again and she has to deal with the choices she makes and there's a lot of reflection in this book like Vee has to make some tough decisions.

Overall, I would say, the plot was not as interesting as Vee's life and her story line especially with Joshua Allen whom I love.

There are also moments of humour as Vee has a dry sense of humour which is great!

It's also set in South Africa so it was nice to read something different. Although it made me hungry as she was eating bunny chow and I love bunny chow.

If you like crime/mysteries then you will like this, but even if you don't read crime, read it for the well written female characters and diversity and humour.

I look forward to reading the sequel next year! Can't wait to see what Vee and Chloe get up to next and I REALLY HOPE VEE MANAGES TO GET SOME PROFESSIONAL HELP AND DEAL WITH HER ISSUES coz she needs to look after herself!!!

Happy Reading!

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Lazarus Effect.

February 11, 2016 – Shelved
February 11, 2016 – Shelved as: to-read
May 27, 2016 – Started Reading
June 10, 2016 –
page 148
41.11% "Well written female characters FTW"
June 18, 2016 –
page 239
66.39% "'You've ruined other people's company for me.'"
June 18, 2016 – Finished Reading

message 1: by H.J. (new)

H.J. Golakai Thank you for this funny and engaging review!