Kayci Morgan's Reviews > Close Liaisons

Close Liaisons by Anna Zaires

Feb 11, 2016

I absolutely loved this book. Some people described it as a mashup between Twilight and 50 Shades with an alien twist and I'd agree with that description. One caveat though, I liked this book better than both of those combined. I feel like she took the controlling alpha trope and raised it to a new level.

Mia is a mouse. And some people have an inherent dislike for female characters that aren't "strong women", but what made me like her was even though she was terrified out of her wits, she still acted. It's easy to be heroic when nothing scares you, it's way harder to be heroic when you're shaking in your boots. Several times she's certain she's about to die, but that never stops her from doing the right thing. For that I have much respect.

Korum is a prick. And he's bigoted against humans. And his power is all-encompassing. He is the alpha male poster child. But his massive flaws as a human being are tempered, first by the fact that he isn't a human being. And second by moments of care and sparks of compassion. If you have to be kidnapped, there are worse places to land.

The book was in perfect balance. Character, plot, scifi elements, it all worked for me. You know when you read a book and realize that you'll probably read everything this person ever wrote and like all of it? Well that was this book. I look forward to reading the rest of the series and beyond.
1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Close Liaisons.

February 11, 2016 – Started Reading