Tamsien West (Babbling Books)'s Reviews > The Woman in this Poem: Women's Voices in Poetry

The Woman in this Poem by Georgia Heard

Feb 11, 2016

bookshelves: poetry

I adored this anthology, the mixture of amusing, poignant and powerful poems made it a joy to read, and it is one I will definitely come back to time and time again. Georgia Heard has done a wonderful job of curating, and then framing the works selected for this volume.

The Women in this Poem is an anthology of poems by women, for women, covering topics as diverse as love, motherhood, work, family & friends, and balance. Represented are many famous names in poetry such as Maya Angelou, Margaret Atwood, Emily Dickinson and Sylvia Plath, but I was pleased to fall in love with the words of poets I might not have discovered otherwise.

My resolution for 2016 was to read more poetry, so when the publisher herself, Maggie Goh of Plumleaf Press, sent me a copy of this anthology I couldn't resist starting it immediately. Despite not reading any poetry since high school, and as far as I can recall, never reading a whole book of poetry from cover to cover, I was so absorbed that I read this in two afternoons. I am looking forward to picking it up again from time to time and finding meaning in some of the poems that resonated with me less than others. But here are a few of the passages I love best:

"Now the empty mind is what I seek
the formless shape
the strange off center
sometimes fictional
me"
~ Imperfection by Elizabeth Carlson

"Does a poem enlarge the world,
or only our idea of the world?"
~ Mathematics by Jane Hirshfield

And finally I adored ‘Power’ by Adrienne Rich, about Marie Curie, her life, discoveries and death.
"She died a famous woman denying
her wounds
denying
her wounds came from the same source as her power"

Because it is an anthology and by its very nature it contains a diverse selections of styles and themes there were a few poems that weren’t to my taste. In particular the section on motherhood was a bit lost on me, but I am sure there are many readers who would be very appreciative of the selection in that chapter.

Overall I really enjoyed this collection, and I would recommend it for both poetry lovers and those who, like myself, are simply curious about the slightly intimidating world of poems. It’s suitable for ages 18 and up.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Woman in this Poem.

February 11, 2016 – Started Reading
February 11, 2016 – Shelved
February 11, 2016 –
page 21
14.58% "My resolution was to read more poetry, so when the publisher herself sent me a copy of this anthology I couldn't resist. 'After Love' by Maxine Kumin is my favorite so far."
page 69
47.92% "Loved 'Power' by Adrienne Rich, about Marie Curie. "She died a famous woman denying her wounds denying her wounds came from the same source as her power""
page 69
47.92% ""Does a poem enlarge the world, or only our idea of the world?" Mathematics by Jane Hirshfield"
page 113
78.47% "'Imperfection' by Elizabeth Carlson is wonderful. "Now the empty mind is what I seek the formless shape the strange off center sometimes fictional me""
page 143
99.31% "All done. Review to come"
February 12, 2016 – Finished Reading