Buck's Reviews > The Scarpetta Factor

Mar 15, 2011

did not like it
bookshelves: utter-crap
Read from March 15 to April 06, 2011

Honestly, I've grown tired of Patricia Cornwell. I used to love her books but over time they have become tedious soap operas full of dysfunctional people. This endeavor is no better. If anything it is much worse.

I'm not even halfway through the book and I'm ready to put it down and move onto something more engaging. That's quite rare for me, but this one is trying my patience. There is so much drama and angst between the growing cast of regular characters that I actually keep forgetting the details of the crime we're supposed to be investigating. Maybe it's a new tool Cornwell is trying out to cover thinning plots. It's almost as if the mystery part of the book is nothing more than a side note. Between Marino trying to repent for attacking Scarpetta in a previous work (which I missed so it means nothing to me) to Benton being pissy about Marino attacking Scarpetta to Lucy panting after the D.A. but still flitting around as her personal helicopter pilot to Scarpetta's angst about working for CNN and animosity with a Nancy Grace type to Benton having some blowup with a fake FBI profiler who did or did not work for the FBI (I still can't figure out which it is) over his disappearance that happened nearly a decade ago - so long that I've forgotten the details. Honestly, it's enough to make your head spin. In every book they all have new jobs somewhere because something always blows up wherever they were last. Really? I'd think by now people might be a little hesitant to hire Kay because they'd figure out she's bringing along this cast of clowns who can't seem to get their lives together. How anyone ever gets put away on their evidence is beyond me. I'd think a defense attorney would rip to shreds any evidence touched by such a cast of crazy losers.

I loved these books when the mystery was at the forefront and Kay Scarpetta was a brilliant medical examiner with a gruff "sidekick" and the cases were unique and interesting. Now, I don't even know what the hell to call Cornwell's work.

Patricia, I tried, I really did. I wanted to stay a fan of Scarpetta's but I'm afraid that Kathy Reichs and her Dr. Tempe Brennan have you beat by a mile these days. RIP Scarpetta.
1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Scarpetta Factor.

03/15/2011 page 75