Kira's Reviews > Siren's Storm

2076887
Mar 14, 2011

liked it
bookshelves: 3-stars, ya, read-in-2011

Review can be found at Mrs. Boswell's Book Bag.

The premise of this novel was quite intriguing. Prior to reading this, I had never read anything dealing with the mythological siren. While Siren's Storm was a good read, I felt like it was missing something.

At times it seemed at though I was reading the same scene again and again throughout the book. I understand Gretchen sleepwalks and ends up closer and closer to the water's edge, but I didn't feel any big difference between these scenes. Then it seemed as though Will kept chasing Asia around the entire book without really receiving any answers... until the very end of the book.

The ending had a very large info dump. It was a little overwhelming. While the information wasn't useless, I felt it could have played a bigger part or made the story a little better if it had been pieced into the story from the beginning.

Will wasn't as outstanding a character as Gretchen and Asia were. I was perplexed by Gretchen's sleepwalking and finding herself close and closer to the water. I wanted to know what exactly was pulling her in. Asia was a very mystifying character. She wasn't at all how I expected her to be.

Asia's story and background was very intriguing but I was mostly interested in Gretchen's story. Unfortunately, not much is explained on that front. I'm not sure if there is going to be a sequel to this book but, the way Ms. Papademetriou left the story, I feel like there could be a continuation. I would be very interested in reading more about Gretchen and her interaction with the sirens.

Overall, a good and interesting read. I recommend Siren's Storm to fans of mythological creatures and stories.
1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Siren's Storm.

March 14, 2011 – Shelved
May 11, 2011 –
page 100
May 13, 2011 –
page 170
59.03% "I don't know what is taking me so long to read this book..."
May 13, 2011 – Shelved as: 3-stars