DJ's Reviews > A Faint Cold Fear

A Faint Cold Fear by Karin Slaughter

Mar 14, 2011

liked it

I give high ratings to Karin Slaughter because I really enjoy her books, even though I'm a bit of a literary snob and don't generally read contemporary fiction. I have spent the past few years reading a lot of non-fiction and her writing has been my reason for returning to fiction.

These books have a 'Murder She Wrote' element to them, wherever her main character -Sara Linton, pediatrician/smalltown medical examiner- is murder just happens to show up. This wouldn't be such a problem for me as a reader if Sara lived in a bigger city (so far, she is in a small southern town, 4 hours from Atlanta). Fiction doesn't have to be real, but it does have to be true, or so says Mark Twain.

So, if you can get past this element of the first three of her books, I think you'll enjoy them. Slaughter's 'Sara Linton' gives Cornwell's 'Kay Scarpetta' quite a run for her money. If you like Cornwell, you'll like these. In the three books of Slaughter's that I've read, I've found the stories engaging and she gets to the hook very fast, which I also enjoy.

From what I gather from Slaughter's website, Sara eventually moves from the small town and even crosses paths with the main character from a different Slaughter series, and I think that's a pretty cool idea.

Enjoy,

DJ

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read A Faint Cold Fear.

10/06/2016 marked as: read