Arthur's Reviews > Intricacies

Intricacies by Joanna Kurowska

Joanna Kurowska’s Intricacies – Poems of the Heart is a winsome collection of 26 poems that one savors with each rereading. The poems deal with everyday occurrences, often imbued with a deeper meaning, with relationships which hover between joy and sorrow, and also with larger issues which have impacted the poet.
All three categories combine in the final poem of the collection, We. The simple act of lovers waking up during the night leads to connection:
“It was as if we were in the silence
of a deep, deep ocean…..our bodies talked”
But death is close at hand and in memory
“…faithful death/ sat neat us….”
“Yes, there are people who kill,
Who put people in cattle cars.”

In “A Summer Day at the IU Campus”, the poet observes a red ant, some chipmunks, moving clouds, and a man “pondering his own importance”. all in the space of of thirteen lines.
“meaning” is an especially intriguing piece. Empty bottles of “golden wine” have been consumed on New Year’s Eve. God fills the glasses with meaning, and in the last verse, the poet pours “…oil from one bottle to the other…?” attempting to understand what it happening,

These are a small sample of the work, which I heartily recommend. Korowska’s style seems sparse at times, but is laden with meaning and depth. The poems certainly live up to the title of the collection, and shoewa softer, more reflective side of the poet.

Arthur Turfa, author of Places and Times

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Intricacies.

July 15, 2015 – Started Reading