Khanh, first of her name, mother of bunnies's Reviews > Harry Potter and the Cursed Child: Parts One and Two

Harry Potter and the Cursed Child by John Tiffany

bookshelves: to-read

It was alright. It was just alright.

I know I gave this 4 stars, but to be honest, J.K. Rowling can write a dictionary with Harry Potter illustrations and I'd probably give it 4 stars, so my rating is almost irrelevant here, given my extreme bias.

The thing is, it was cute, it was sweet, it was entirely nostalgic to see the old crew again, but I hated the play format. As a person who grew up with Harry Potter, and who is in her early 30s now, I feel like I grew up with Harry Potter and the crew, and with the advent of this book, I have, in fact, grown old with them. It was lovely to see them again. It was like meeting old friends.

I don't feel old. I'm a more responsible person, for sure, but I feel young at heart. When we're young, adulthood, responsibilities, just the prospect of adulting seem so daunting...then one gets there and it's like, well, I'm as immature as I ever was. I love fun as much as I ever did. Growing old isn't that bad. And seeing the old crew being as much as they ever were brings joy into my not-yet-old-and-grizzled-heart.

I could do without the kids, to be honest. Oh, sure, they're little Potter and Granger-Weasley spawns, but come on, nobody ever has and nobody ever will win me over as much as their parents, whom I have loved the instant we met them on the Hogwarts Express.

(Ok, maybe not Ron...)

But I digress. The kids aren't all bad. I rather like little Scorpius, actually.
SCORPIUS: And it’s just like my father’s! I got his nose, his hair, and his name. Not that that’s a great thing either. I mean — father-son issues, I have them. But, on the whole, I’d rather be a Malfoy than, you know, the son of the Dark Lord.
The adults have grown, they've changed. Some have changed so much that I hardly recognize them, Draco, for instance. I like that he's, well, nicer now, but he doesn't feel like Draco, you know? I've been so used to Harry and Draco doing this...

That it's rather discombobulating to see anything otherwise.

But yeah, characters are great, but the format. THE FORMAT.

I don't even know it's fair of me to judge this based on the fact that I don't like that it's a play, because for fuck's sakes, IT'S A PLAY. Like, what did I expect? This may be the most confusing review I've ever written. I just don't like the play format. It's meant for the stage. That means it's up to the skill of the actors to portray what is implied. It's up to the audience to interpret nuances. It is almost entirely based on dialogue, and I hate that. I miss Rowling's writing. I love Rowling's writing, and I wanted more of it. The play brings up so many things that could have been written so much more, had it been expanded into a book format. The children's growing pains, particular that of young Albus. Harry's feelings as a parent. Draco's struggles with who he was and who he is. Furthermore, Ron is relegated to little more than comic relief. Let's be honest, I never liked the guy, but for him to be much of the same character that he ever was conjures up the image of the try-hard middle-aged dude, and I know that Ron is more than that.

I like it? I don't like it? I don't know. But I would certainly relish watching it on the stage if I ever had the chance. It's bound to be better than on paper.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Harry Potter and the Cursed Child.

February 10, 2016 – Shelved
February 10, 2016 – Shelved as: to-read
Started Reading
August 1, 2016 – Finished Reading

Comments Showing 1-50 of 170 (170 new)

Jasmine Bro I know. I don't know if i should be celebrating or preparing for a funeral.

Khanh, first of her name, mother of bunnies I hope someone big dies. Is that wrong of me?

message 3: by Corky (new)

Corky Cobon Khanh (the Grinch) wrote: "I hope someone big dies. Is that wrong of me?"

Like Harry himself? Oh, wait! That already happened. My bad! ;)

Morgan Definitely not!! I'm with you!! LOL

Jessica Not sure how I feel about the fact that this has two additional authors names connected to it...

message 6: by Kikki (new) - added it

Kikki *hyperventilates in the corner* this could go so well or so wrong omg

Brenda A I'm going to have to avoid for Goodreads for months... I'm seeing the play in September!

Victoria I'm so scared. I'll probably wait for the reviews before reading it.

message 9: by Samantha (new)

Samantha Clare Gosh, this is nerve wrecking. I'm thinking if anyone dies, it's gonna be Ginny.

Alina Omg. This could turn into the second coming of Go Set a Watchman...

message 11: by Samantha (new)

Samantha Clare Or maybe another Potter girl. As if we women can't protect ourselves from legacies. ;)

Khanh, first of her name, mother of bunnies Samantha Clare wrote: "Gosh, this is nerve wrecking. I'm thinking if anyone dies, it's gonna be Ginny."

Oh, how I wish!!!

Khanh, first of her name, mother of bunnies Alina wrote: "Omg. This could turn into the second coming of Go Set a Watchman..."

NOOOOOOOO. don't even suggest it

message 14: by T.S. (new)

T.S. Pettibone Excited to read it! I imagine it will be spectacular, although I think I'm going to find it very hard to move on without Snape.

message 16: by Simon (new) - added it

Simon  Says RIGHT
like bring it on

message 17: by Erica (new) - added it

Erica As long as the cover art can match the rest of the series. My ADD might not be able to stand the asymmetry, if not. ;_;

Stephanie For some reason, I'm hoping Albus Severus (ew, that name) turns out to be evil as fuck. It'll be an awesome twist.

♔Insomnia here_for_the_catnip At first I was ultra excited and then I read it is going to be a script for a play.. I am really not a big fan of those, HP universe or no.

message 20: by Jane (new) - rated it 4 stars

Jane fingers crossed!

message 21: by George (new) - added it

George Jankovic Hahaha. Please no. Martin is great, but those two universes should stay separate or else the world will be doomed. Imagine if Rowlling killed Harry at the end of this book?

Luís Fernandes Yes!!!! This! I need death and good characters turning bad!!!

Patricia This is exactly how I felt!

message 24: by Bobbi (new) - added it

Bobbi Stephanie wrote: For some reason, I'm hoping Albus Severus (ew, that name) turns out to be evil as fuck. It'll be an awesome twist.

I didn't know I wanted this until you suggested it. Please kind woman, root around in the darkest recesses of my psyche and find more nuggets of awesome that I must have. I'll make you cookies?

La La - Everyone's Crazy Aunt It is a play. The book will be written as a play in script form.

Jamari It's still going to be in script form.

Jamari It's still going to be in script form.

Jamari I feel just as nervous too

Jamari I feel just as nervous too

message 30: by Amy (new) - rated it 4 stars

Amy I pre-ordered it two days ago (as soon as I heard). From the description on Amazon it said it was only 32 pages. If that's the case, it better be the best damned short story I've ever read! (Which is probably will be, considering my love of the series. ;) )

Deyse From the synopses it doesn't feel it'll be bloody at all. It feels more like a coming of age for Albus & a coming with terms for Harry with the legacy after the war against Voldemort.

La La - Everyone's Crazy Aunt Amy wrote: "I pre-ordered it two days ago (as soon as I heard). From the description on Amazon it said it was only 32 pages. If that's the case, it better be the best damned short story I've ever read! (Which ..."

It is listed as having 320 pages.

message 33: by Amy (new) - rated it 4 stars

Amy La La wrote: "Amy wrote: "I pre-ordered it two days ago (as soon as I heard). From the description on Amazon it said it was only 32 pages. If that's the case, it better be the best damned short story I've ever r..."

You just made my day - thank you, La La!

La La - Everyone's Crazy Aunt Amy wrote: "La La wrote: "Amy wrote: "I pre-ordered it two days ago (as soon as I heard). From the description on Amazon it said it was only 32 pages. If that's the case, it better be the best damned short sto..."

XD

message 35: by Ren (new) - rated it 5 stars

Ren No one can die you hear. No. One.

Khanh, first of her name, mother of bunnies Victoria wrote: "Don't say that Samantha Clare. Ginny can't die. "

I WANT HER DEAD.

*ahem*

message 38: by Kelseyyyy (new) - added it

Kelseyyyy *Sees (Harry Potter #8) under title* *dies*

message 39: by tanya (new)

tanya well.. im gonna say that you are just looking for suspence
when you want kne of the major characterss to die, i donf think yhere is anything wrong about that .

message 40: by tanya (new)

tanya if its really in script form , then *cry

message 41: by Josh (new) - rated it 1 star

Josh This is a terrible idea

Jacob G Quite frankly i am just happy thare is another one J.K. Rowling please don't kill anyone off and who is headmaster of hogwarts since snape and Dumbledore both died both murdered * sad emoji* :c

message 44: by Stonewall (new)

Stonewall Yep because everybody wants Harry Potter to turn into a gory sex filled game of thrones kind of novel

message 45: by Jennifer (new) - added it

Jennifer You know he is grown up... so make the book very grown up. When this was announced I felt my heart race, I felt my excitement just pour out... Harry Potter did things for me... my love for Harry Potter runs deep & I really am not sure if I am ready for a continuation. So many emotions. lol

message 46: by April (new)

April 320 pages?! Wow. I'm in 3 minds about this: excited, scared, confused.

The fangirl in me wants this desperately. The realist in me knows that this could go totally wrong. Headcanons could be destroyed and war could break out in the fandom...

A part of me wants peace, serenity and safety for Harry's kids. Why can't we just imagine they had a nice time at Hogwarts?

Most of all, I really hope this play doesn't turn into a cash cow or a racial statement. It should be about the story!

Anas Mohamed HARRY POTTER HARRY POTTER …

I like the whole series so i feel nervous .

message 48: by Kyle (new) - added it

Kyle I just figured out that the epilogue would take place this year. I think she was planning this for years

message 49: by Riley (new)

Riley Cant wait!!!! I love plays and since its a HARRY POTTER play i am soooo reading it!!

message 50: by Kris (new) - added it

Kris Adler I agree! I hope, hope, HOPE it is good!

« previous 1 3 4