Jessica Khoury's Reviews > The Warrior's Apprentice

The Warrior's Apprentice by Lois McMaster Bujold

Mar 14, 2011

bookshelves: all-time-faves

Second time through TWA--first time on audio, this time reading. Even better the second time around, and still one of my all-time favorites!

I stumbled on this series entirely by accident while I was writing a book with an MC named Miles and decided to see if there were any Mileses in other SFF. Turns out, there was one, and while the sound of this story didn't impress me much at first, I decided to check it out, and downloaded the audio version. Best. Decision. EVER.

Imagine a character that's part Tyrion Lannister, part Ferris Bueller--in space, and you've got a pretty good idea of what to expect from Lois McMaster Bujold's addictive Miles Vorkosigan. It doesn't hurt that Bujold is one of the most highly decorated SFF writers there is with multiple Hugos, Nebulas, and other awards under her belt. While reading the Vorkosigan books, I went from peals of laughter to bated breath to tears as this quirky, brilliant character leaped from one escapade to the next alongside a host of terrifying, hilarious, and fully dimensional side character

These books are literary Pringles. You can't read just one. And with 16 novels and 6 novellas, this is one series to keep you busy for a while.

1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Warrior's Apprentice.

Quotes Jessica Liked

Lois McMaster Bujold
“I've got forward momentum. There's no virtue in it. It's just a balancing act. I don't dare stop. ”
Lois McMaster Bujold, The Warrior's Apprentice

Lois McMaster Bujold
“Oh, was that liquor of yours a stimulant?" asked Elena. "I wondered why he didn't fall asleep."
"Couldn't you tell?" chuckled Mayhew.
"Not really."
Miles twisted his head to take in Elena's upside-down worried face, and smile in weak reassurance. Sparkly black and purple whirlpools clouded his vision. Mayhew's laughter faded. "My God," he said hollowly, "you mean he's like that all the time?”
Lois McMaster Bujold, The Warrior's Apprentice