Lisa's Reviews > Surrender at the Border

Surrender at the Border by Risa Leigh

U 50x66

4.5*
Callie has been asked to cooperate with the ATF in order to bust a weapons smuggler, Karl, who has been using the computers at her library to arrange deals. When agent B.J. learns of Karl’s unwanted attention toward Callie, he makes sure to keep a close eye on her.  Karl has been stalking her and will stop at nothing to get what he wants, even kidnapping her and B.J. and taking them into Mexico. Fortunately, they manage to escape and must now find a way back to the States, while avoiding the Narcos. From crossing mountains to staying at an asylum, the two avoid being recaptured. However, when Karl refuses to disappear, the ATF realizes the only way to get him for good is to use Callie as bait, something that doesn’t sit too well with B.J.

I really liked this story. It pretty much kicks into high gear right from the beginning and doesn’t let up. I didn’t find any slow parts, nor did I ever feel a desire to skim paragraphs. Callie and B.J. connect with each other through similar past traumas and their relationship feels real. He doesn’t feel worthy of Callie’s affection, thus tries to push her away. Though not only for that reason does he push her away, but to keep his head clear for survival, which I appreciated. The suspense of this story carries throughout, the climax is thrilling, and the end is satisfying. There’s only one sex scene and its brief; any more than that would have felt unnecessary for the way the story is written. Overall, this book was a winner for me. I plan to add Risa Leigh to my watch list of authors.

My thanks to NetGalley and Entangled Publishing, LLC for the pleasure of reading Surrender at the Border by Risa Leigh.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Surrender at the Border.

Finished Reading