Caitlin's Reviews > Blackout: Remembering the Things I Drank to Forget

Blackout by Sarah Hepola

bookshelves: 2016-reading-challenge

I liked this book, though in many ways I found it unlikable. That's the only way I can think to explain it. It was a good read, a tough read, an uncomfortable read, an important read. The protagonist is not necessarily a likable character, but that's kind of the point: the raw honesty and lack of softening are exactly how this story should be told. Hepola's writing is enviable, in both its style and delivery, and in its apparent ability to leave off the sugar coating in order make her story more tolerable for the reader (and, one assumes, for herself). "Here I am," she seems to say, daring you to look away. "This is what happened."
Reading a story about alcoholism from the alcoholic's point of view was never going to be easy, but it was important for me.
1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Blackout.

Quotes Caitlin Liked

Sarah Hepola
“Sometimes people drift in and out of your life, and the real agony is fighting it. You can gulp down an awful lot of seawater, trying to change the tides.”

Sarah Hepola
“We all live in the long shadow of the person we could have been.”

Sarah Hepola
“I'm not sad or embarrassed to be an alcoholic anymore. I get irritated when I hear parents use that jokey shorthand: God, I hope my kid doesn't end up in rehab. Or: God, I hope my kid doesn't end up in therapy. I understand the underlying wish -- I hope my kid grows up happy and safe. When we say things like that, though, we underscore the false belief that people who seek help are failures and people who don't seek help are a success. It's not true. Some of the healthiest, most accomplished people I know went to both rehab and therapy, and I've known some sick motherfuckers who managed to avoid both.”

February 9, 2016 – Shelved