Sophia's Reviews > Thirteenth Child

Mar 14, 2011

liked it
bookshelves: ya, historical, fantasy
Read on April 11, 2011

** spoiler alert ** A fairly quick read - somehow I missed the fact that it's set in an alternate-universe US Wild West when I picked it up so it feels kind of odd reading this after Native Star, but I think I liked this one better. Not Wrede's greatest work (I don't think I'll love any of her work more than the Enchanted Forest series) but Eff is a great protagonist and one that I can really get behind. She's practical, she's thoughtful and she's from a GIANT family (which I can definitely appreciate, because the Chinese churches I grew up in take the concept of "church family" very seriously.) I do wish there was a little more explanation of how magic worked in this universe but at the same time I understand that maybe Wrede didn't want to get bogged down in technicalities, and truth be told I didn't need details. I could have done with a little more action but I think part of that comes down to Eff's pragmatic demeanor: she talks about the events with such a demurring tone that you almost believe the events weren't as dramatic as they clearly were.

I'm looking forward to the next book (which should be out this fall, hooray!) and I hope Eff grows into her magic in the next installment.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Thirteenth Child.

04/11/2011 page 70
20.0% "Will probably finish later today or tomorrow!"