Karyn Niedert's Reviews > Among the Wicked

Among the Wicked by Linda Castillo

bookshelves: 2016-challenge, author-to-follow, netgalley

I love Linda Castillo's writing style, and when the opportunity to read her latest bool, "Among the Wicked" arose I jumped at it.

Castillo's heroine, Chief Kate Burkholder, has been asked to go undercover in upstate New York to infiltrate a small Amish community and make sure there are no nefarious goings on. Interest in the small community has formed after a young girl was found dead, presumably frozen to death, at a nearby lake after a snowstorm. There is concern that other children in the small community may be in danger, and that the charismatic leader of the village, Bishop Schrock, may be doling out punishments severe enough to lead to death.

Chief Burkholder, as a fallen away Amish, is absolutely perfect to go into their community as an newly widowed woman seeking a strict order to worship in. I enjoyed thinking through what preparations she would have to account for and learn as she followed through on the mission.

One warning, as I was reading the story, my common sense screamed that Kate was asking too many questions, too soon, and making too many rounds of meeting the Amish folks so quickly. Kate mentions "poking a beehive" several times, and it seems more like she's whacking one with a baseball bat. I understand that she was undercover for a limited amount of time and needed to make headway in the case as quickly as possible, but it was uncomfortable reading some parts when she was behaving like a bull in a China shop.

Castillo delivers several delicious plot twists and manages to move Kate and Tomasetti's relationship forward without it going stale on readers. "Among the Wicked" will be on bookseller shelves on July 12, 2016 and I highly recommend picking it up to enjoy as a twisty summer read.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Among the Wicked.

February 9, 2016 – Shelved