Sara's Reviews > Everything, Everything

Everything, Everything by Nicola Yoon

it was ok
bookshelves: bittersweet, contemporary, diverse, family, fiction, love, sickness-disease, teen-angst, ya-fiction

I'll start off with a positive: this is a fast read. I read it in one day. The story was compelling; I really couldn't put it down. That's pretty rare, for me at least. The writing was bright and original. It was sprinkled with whimsy - from Madeline's own dictionary definitions of words to her one line spoiler book reviews, to the illustrations that really made her humor come alive and added depth to her character.

Now to the reasons I am giving this two stars.

Two complaints, really.

First: Oliver, "Olly" (really not a fan of that nickname), just doesn't seem real. At the very least, he didn't read like an actual "boy" to me. He seemed too good to be true - the friendship and, later, love that develops between the two main characters seems so contrived, but mostly because he seems like a dream boy, who is kind and funny and does totally cheesy things like create skits involving an indestructible bundt cake. I liked his character, but I was never convinced he was an actual person so the story didn't immurse me enough because of this.

Second: The ending is a total cop-out. I'm going to put this all under spoiler because it's a big one. (view spoiler)

So no, I'm not happy with the ending. It kinda ruined the book for me. It made the story just "ok" in my opinion. I would have rated it lower, but this is a YA that supports the notion that many people have: YA is not serious literature. This book is light, fluffy, and doesn't really have much going for it other than the romance. The plot issue is a major detractor, so I cannot take it seriously. And thus: it was ok.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Everything, Everything.

February 9, 2016 – Shelved