Melanie's Reviews > Neverwhere

Neverwhere by Neil Gaiman

Mar 14, 2011

bookshelves: read-in-2011, favorites, who-dun-it, scrumptious-books, 5-stars, borrowed-from-library, here-there-be-dragons-and-damsels, must-read
Recommended for: lovers of great novels :D
Read from March 31 to April 05, 2011

*sits in silence and awe*

Neil Gaiman is in one word...Amazing!
I don't even really know where it start this review.
Gaiman stated the he wanted this book to do to adults what Alice in Wonderland and The Wonderful Wizard of Oz did for him as a child.

For me, I got the same type of wonderment from London below as I did when first finding out about land of Oz, wonderland or even middle earth. Gaiman created such a realistic underworld, that it make me want to go looking for it when I visit London.

His characters are so real, you sometimes forget they come from a magical under city, and that just maybe one day you'll get the meet them.

this book did it all for me, from Richards transformation from a push over to a Warrior, the mad hatter like Marquis de Carabas, the very creepy and sadistic mister coup and vandemar, Hunter and door.
through betrayals, twists, sewer labyrinths, London's beast and a real angel. this book had me dreaming about it and waking up needing to read just another chapter

it is, in my opinion, utter brilliance

Happy reading :D

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Neverwhere.

04/01/2011 page 55
show 5 hidden updates…

message 1: by Jason (new) - added it

Jason if you have read alice in wonderland, would you recommend someone first read that or just go on to this one? I assume they feed off one another... go hand in hand.

Melanie Jason wrote: "if you have read alice in wonderland, would you recommend someone first read that or just go on to this one? I assume they feed off one another... go hand in hand."

you wouldnt need to read alice at all to understand this.

If you have read Alice who can see where some characters inspiration comes from, but its not necessary.

Gaiman was more going for the feel of wonder that, as a child he got from reading stories like Alice. Its not really a flow on or retelling story.

I think you would get just as much enjoyment out of it with out having read alice.

...hope my rambling helped :)