Emma's Reviews > Tastes Like Fear

Tastes Like Fear by Sarah Hilary
Rate this book
Clear rating

by
28602001
's review

it was amazing
bookshelves: netgalley

I'll just give a small insight into my reading experience...

Imagine me, relaxing on a big, comfy sofa with my Kindle and a cup of tea. I'm half way through the book and i'm feeling smug. I'm thinking that I know what's going on and where this is heading. I read a lot of these kind of books. I KNOW.

Then all of a sudden, Sarah Hilary creeps up behind me and smashes me over the head with a brick. I'm shocked. I have tea all over me.

But i'm still having a good time, because the book is brilliant.

The End.

(^this is why I don't write books, just review them)

Once again Sarah Hilary has managed to confound expectations, using a subject matter which has been done before in an innovative and unconventional way. As my teaser review suggests, I was completely fooled by the first half of the book. The author began to weave all the strands of the story and I believed that I knew the end pattern she was creating. Boy, was I wrong. I’m writing this review right after finishing and i’m still punch drunk from the blows. In trying to think of how to describe the second half of the book, all I can say is: ‘I was not expecting that’.

As ever, Hilary’s characters are the biggest draw. Even over the suburb plotting. In this instalment, we get a tantalising glimpse of Marnie's stepbrother, Stephen, all grown up and scary as a nightmare. It is no understatement to say that i’m desperate to find out more about this mystery. There is more darkness to come with this story, I can feel it.

Many thanks to Sarah Hilary, Headline, and Netgalley for this copy in exchange for an honest review.

55 likes · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Tastes Like Fear.
Sign In »

Reading Progress

February 9, 2016 – Shelved
February 9, 2016 – Shelved as: to-read
February 22, 2016 – Started Reading
February 22, 2016 – Shelved as: netgalley
February 23, 2016 – Finished Reading

Comments Showing 1-14 of 14 (14 new)

dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by "Avonna (new) - added it

"Avonna Great teaser, Emma! I'll be adding this to my TBR. Thanks!


Emma Avonna wrote: "Great teaser, Emma! I'll be adding this to my TBR. Thanks!"

It's worth it, for sure. The second half comes with so many shocks, i'm still reeling!


message 3: by Mike (new)

Mike Fantastic, Emma. Another series I've had my eye on for a while and your take on this one defintely confirms I'll be picking up all the books at some point in the future.


Emma Mike wrote: "Fantastic, Emma. Another series I've had my eye on for a while and your take on this one defintely confirms I'll be picking up all the books at some point in the future."

Mike, Sarah Hilary has my highest level of recommendation for crime fiction! Definitely don't miss out.


message 5: by Sandra (new)

Sandra Emma wrote: "Then all of a sudden, Sarah Hilary creeps up behind me and smashes me over the head with a brick. I'm shocked. I have tea all over me. "

Lol, sounds like a good one!


Richard I'll read it with my bicycle helmet on then!


Emma Sandra wrote: "Emma wrote: "Then all of a sudden, Sarah Hilary creeps up behind me and smashes me over the head with a brick. I'm shocked. I have tea all over me. "

Lol, sounds like a good one!"


You'll love it Sandra!


Emma Richard wrote: "I'll read it with my bicycle helmet on then!"

Good plan Richard. Though Sarah has since apologised to me and admitted that she owes me a cup of tea. All is now forgiven.


message 9: by Christine (new)

Christine Terrific review, Emma. I must read this author!


message 10: by Emma (last edited Mar 27, 2016 02:18PM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Emma Christine wrote: "Terrific review, Emma. I must read this author!"

Christine, you absolutely must! Together with Angela Marsons, my favourite crime writers.


Maureen Fantastic review Emma. Have just requested it - fingers crossed!


message 12: by Emma (new) - rated it 5 stars

Emma Maureen wrote: "Fantastic review Emma. Have just requested it - fingers crossed!"

I'll cross mine for you too.


Maureen Thanks Emma.


message 14: by Christine (last edited Mar 27, 2016 03:35PM) (new)

Christine Emma wrote: "Christine wrote: "Terrific review, Emma. I must read this author!"

Christine, you absolutely must! Together with Angela Marsons, my favourite crime writers."


Emma, that is a very very large endorsement! Moving first book to "must read" list.


back to top