Martha Anne Davidson's Reviews > Trapped

Trapped by Marc Aronson

liked it
bookshelves: nonfiction

Just finished reading an interesting book entitled Trapped: How the World Rescued 33 Miners from 2,000 Feet Below the Chilean Desert (2011) by Marc Aronson. A friend loaned me the book. The book is written for a juvenile audience, but the way the story is told worked for me. A mine collapsed in Copiano, Chile, trapping 33 miners 2,000 feet below the earth for sixty-nine days. The book shares a great deal of information about mining and the drilling that led to the rescue. I would have liked to have learned even more about the resilient miners and their families, but what Aronson presents was very informative and readable. As a teacher, I also like the way the author provides some useful ideas and incentives for young readers to continue their own research into the subject. There are other books on the mine disaster. Aronson mentions one: 33 Men: Inside the Miraculous Survival and Dramatic Rescue of the Chilean Miners (2011) by Jonathan Franklin, a journalist. There is another that seems popular: Deep Down Dark: The Untold Stories of 33 Men Buried in a Chilean Mine, and the Miracle That Set Them Free (2014) by Héctor Tobar, a Pulitzer Prize-winning journalist. The book inspired a movie entitled The 33, starring Antonio Banderas. The idea of Mr. Banderas gives this older (but perhaps still a little juvenile) reader some incentive for further research, or at least movie watching.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Trapped.

February 8, 2016 – Started Reading