Loralee's Reviews > Toru: Wayfarer Returns

Toru by Stephanie R. Sorensen

Recommended for: Everyone who likes a well-written book!
Read 2 times

Subarashii monogatari desu! This story was superb, and I am so very glad I read it. Toru, a young man, is dropped off by his American friends on the shores of Japan, his homeland, only to turn around to face several armed Samurai. And from there, the action doesn’t let up. Having lived in Japan before, (Sapporo and Asahikawa on Hokkaido) I especially appreciated this story. I am also a fan of steampunk, so that was an extra plus for me. I loved the airships added to the story! I also thought the little romance was sweet, and I appreciated the addition of Masuyo. I always admire authors who create female characters that are strong and independent, and don’t need a man to complete them or give them purpose and worth. Masuyo and Toru are a great team. They are equals and complement each other. And I like that.
I cannot recommend this story enough. The plot and pacing were awesome, the writing was fantastic, and the story itself was something that just— surrounded me. Stephanie R. Sorensen is a great author, and I look forward to what she will put out in the future! I was given a copy of this most excellent story in exchange for an honest review.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Toru.

Finished Reading
Finished Reading (Kindle Edition)
February 8, 2016 – Shelved
February 25, 2016 – Shelved (Kindle Edition)