jenjn79's Reviews > Whisper Falls

Whisper Falls by Toni Blake

Mar 13, 2011

bookshelves: published-2011, series-destiny, 2011, format-mmp, info-full, reviewed, genre-romance-contemporary, stars-5, condition-new, bought-barnesnoble
Recommended to jenjn79 by: continuation of a series
Read from March 21 to 22, 2011

Like most of my other GR friends, I loved this book. It was such an engaging read that gives you a little bit of everything you want. I just wanted to keep coming back and reading more and got annoyed when I had to put the book down.

Series Note:
Third book in Blake's "Destiny" series about a quaint Ohio town and the people who live there. I think you could probably read this as a standalone without too much trouble.

Summary:
Tessa Sheridan had a promising career in a big city as an interior designer but then she was struck down by Crohn's disease, a persistent digestive disorder. She moved back to her hometown of Destiny, Ohio to improve her health and be around family and friends and bought a little cabin in the woods. Things are quiet until someone moves into the house closest to hers. Then suddenly motorcycles are driving by and there's a badass biker within eyesight. Tessa is even more shocked to find out the badass biker is Lucky Romo, the long-missing son of a local family.

For Lucky, coming back to Destiny, a place that left him few good memories and many bad ones, was not an easy choice. But after he receives some life-changing information, he doesn't has much choice. So he moves his custom bike painting business and settles into his new home. He never counted on the sexy woman who lived right next store. She's so far out of his league but he can't seem to stay away from her, even when he knows getting close might put her in danger.

The two polar opposites can't stay apart and find themselves falling in love. But nothing is easy for these two as Lucky must battle with his less than stellar past before he can move on to a future. Hopefully with Tessa.

Review:
What an excellent book this was. I've like this series and enjoyed all the books, but it's not one I anxiously await the next book for. So I was a bit late in reading this latest addition. But boy, was it a winner!

The first thing that I loved about this book was that you had two atypical lead characters. Lucky is a bad ass biker with scary tattoos and a very unsavory past. And Tessa is a woman dealing with a chronic, incurable illness (Crohn's disease) which you get to see how badly it affects her life. Both characters give the book some variety and separate it from what else is out there. Bad ass bikers aren't all that uncommon, but Lucky's past makes him standout from all the others out there. But Tessa is a real rarity in romance heroines. You hardly ever come across a heroine dealing with a chronic illness. Yeah, it's a bit depressing, but it's also very real. And I just loved that we got two characters in this book who aren't cookie-cutter perfect.

That's nothing to say of chemistry these two had together. It was absolutely wonderful. They are total opposites who find peace with each other. Being around Tessa brings out the best in Lucky, makes him be the man never knew he could be, and for Tessa, being around Lucky makes her want to get out and live life. They just fit so well together and I really enjoyed getting to know these two characters and seeing them fall in love with each other. Oh, and the sex scenes were great, too ;)

Those two things alone made this a wonderful story, but there was so much more. Lucky has to deal with reuniting with his family and the bitterness his brother feels over Lucky's disappearance. (view spoiler) On top of that, a piece of Lucky's unsavory past comes back to haunt him, which drops a smidge of suspense into the story and a lot of emotional angst over how it affects Lucky, Tessa and the two as a couple.

Plus, you get to catch up with past characters/couples in the series. Both H/Hs from the first two books play small-medium roles. And you get a bit of Amy, the prudish book store owner. Which fleshes out the book and makes it more well-rounded.

Really, I don't think there was anything about the book I didn't like. It gives you a bit of everything - emotional development, a fabulous romance, character depth, a hint of suspense. It just hit on all cylinders and I really enjoyed reading this book. I'm looking forward to reading the next book in the series...and very curious to see what Blake plans to do with prudish Amy.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Whisper Falls.

03/20/2011 page 0
0.0% "I had a hard time deciding what to read next because I've somehow ended up with a bunch of books I plan to read (series continuations) but for one reason or another I'm wary of them. But this one looks like it'll be a good one. I hope. Started 3/21/11."
03/21/2011 page 264
69.0% "This book is sooo good so far. I just want to keep coming back and reading more. There's something unbelievably sweet about the story."
03/22/2011
100.0% "Good good book. 5 stars all the way. Finished 3/22/11."

Rossy I loved this one too. Fantastic review Isis!

jenjn79 Thanks, Rossy!