Donna Jo Atwood's Reviews > The Partly Cloudy Patriot

1925476
Mar 13, 2011

bookshelves: essays, political-opinion, family
Read in March, 2011

I enjoy Sarah Vowell's writing. Her sense of humor makes mine dance for joy; her slightly off-center world view can be like a breath of fresh air.

These essays were mostly written in the aftermath of the 2000 election. Sarah is just a tad to the left of the politcal spectrum than I--enough so that I could understand her anguish, but enough less that I was ready to tell her to get over it much sooner than she did. Her chapter on Al Gore's visit to a High School class and the journalistic aftermath is a lesson in Civics that everyone should read and heed.

What I did appreciate was her clear thread of patriotism, of respect for her country (while still being able to poke a little fun at some of the foibles uncovered--and we have them), and of the necessity to foster that love of country and of history in our citizens. There are other essays in the book on other topics, but these were central to a message.

People of other political persuasions may take issue with her extensive grief at the outcome of the 2000 election, but I hope that would not keep them from reading the main message she sends--this is OUR country and it's up to us to make it work.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Partly Cloudy Patriot.