Kristalia 's Reviews > Stories of the Raksura, Volume 1: The Falling World & The Tale of Indigo and Cloud

Stories of the Raksura, Volume 1 by Martha Wells

Final rating: 5/5 stars

It is very rare for me to give 5 stars to the collection of short stories set in the same world. Or short stories in general. The usual highest I give is 3 stars. But I want to say these are fantastic additions and give more insight into the world and have other POVs. Since this one is the first volume, I will write generally about the both of them.

I highly recommend you to read all of the stories in both volumes - a lot happens in them and there are more things that were revealed. There are two volumes of short stories: Stories of the Raksura, Volume 1: The Falling World & The Tale of Indigo and Cloud and Stories of the Raksura, Volume 2: The Dead City & The Dark Earth Below. Best way to read them is to read them AFTER third book if you want to prevent spoiling yourself for the first three books, and if you don't mind spoilers, then you can read them all in chronological order.

But if you are thinking of starting this series chronologically - with the prequels first - the only safe and spoilerless story is The Forest Boy. I personally read it first before The Cloud Roads because I wanted to see how Moon was like as a child and what he had to face. It's generally short story and not spoilerish, so there is no reason not to read it first.

But the other prequel short stories have spoilers for specific books: The Tale of Indigo and Cloud has a spoiler alert for book 2 and 3, and is best to be read after third book. The Dead City has a spoiler alert for book 1. Best to be read after first book. Adaptation does not contain severe spoilers, but I recommend reading Adaptation after first book. Just in case, cause it could be confusing for those who didn't read first book, when it comes to Raksura's POV.

So, in short, about the prequels: they showed insight into the story of Indigo and Cloud (two Raksura after whom the court Indigo Cloud is named); Moon's life as a very young fledgling trying to find a place to live, who just recently lost his family; once again a story of Moon after he escaped from Saraseil; and lastly, Chime's transformation from mentor to warrior class.

Then the sequels: Jade's adventure, which turns out more dangerous; what happens when raksura want to trade goods between courts (in which Raksura try to trade by giving more wealth for less); Jade and the rest of the group trying to make a trade arrangement with another court and then fail to return; Indigo Cloud's neighbors Kek are in trouble - some of their members are missing and Raksura agree to find them, and Jade and Moon expect the new members of the court (view spoiler). And lastly, a short story " The Almost Last Voyage of the Wind-ship Escarpment" about other characters set in the other part of the world.

So no one get's confused, this is the correct chronological order, from author's website and where to find them:

Prequels:
Volume 1: The Tale of Indigo and Cloud
Volume 1: The Forest Boy
Volume 2: The Dead City
Volume 1: Adaptation

Main books:
◈ Book 1: The Cloud Roads (Plus free missing scenes: Missing Scene IMissing Scene II / Missing Scene III)
◈ Book 2: The Serpent Sea

Volume 2: The Almost Last Voyage of the Wind-ship Escarpment

Main book sequels:
◈ Book 4: The Edge of Worlds
◈ Book 5: Upcoming book

Overall, these stories are addictive and I enjoyed reading them. Other POVs fit in nicely as well and not to mention the sequels - it feels like we already have another full book.

► STORIES:

Sorted in chronological order:
► STORY 1: The Tale of Indigo and Cloud

"I wanted to see her again."

POV: Cerise
Chronological order: Prequel 1, set in the distant past in the Reaches.
Recommended order: Best to be read after third book.
Spoilerless synopsis for those who didn't read Raksura before: This is a story of Indigo and Cloud and how they met, before the court changed name.
Synopsis for those who read at least 1 book of Raksura: (view spoiler)
My opinion: Wonderful story, giving more details into their lives before, when they were a powerful colony to be feared. I enjoyed reading through Cerise's POV, but I wish I could have read from their POVs too. Also, tiny Stone, a character I love, makes an appearance! He was so damn cute. It also shows how Raksura deal with abusive relationships and even (view spoiler). Damn, i felt really sad for (view spoiler).

► STORY 2: The Forest Boy

Lua started toward the boy, moving slowly as if she was trying to approach a wounded animal. The boy watched her with wary mistrust. She stopped in front of him and sat on her heels; he was still taller than she was, even sitting down huddled against the doorframe. She held out the doll, pressed it against his hand until his fingers closed around it. Then she whispered, “I won’t tell.”

POV: Tren, an orphan boy
Chronological order: Prequel 2, set when Moon was very, very young.
Recommended order: Before or after the first book.
Spoilerless synopsis for those who didn't read Raksura before: A story of the main character, when he was around 5-10 years old, when he tried to search for anyone to live with after his family was murdered by Tath. Read from the perspective of an orphan boy Tren, when he and his adopted sister Lua found a terribly hurt and afraid Moon. Their adoptive family accept him, but Moon is terrified of being seen in his real form.
My opinion: Heartbreaking story. Knowing how most of Moon's encounters with groundlings end up, it's just sad to see hope dying on his face.

► STORY 3: Adaptation

“You’ll let fear rule you.”
“I won’t.” He hissed at her. “You think it’s easy to be a mentor? Making simples that could kill if we get the slightest element wrong? Making light and heat with our hands? I won’t let fear rule me because I never have before!”

POV: Chime
Chronological order: Prequel 4, set just before first book The Cloud Roads.
Recommended order: After the first book.
Synopsis for those who read first book at least: (view spoiler)
My opinion: It's interesting to know how Chime sees things, and from this POV, it's kinda easier to see what Moon and Chime see in each other.

► STORY 4: The Falling World

“But why would Ocean Winter want to war with us?”

POV: Moon
Chronological order: Sequel after third book #3
Recommended order: After The Siren Depths, Mimesis and Trading Lesson
Spoilerless synopsis for those who didn't read Raksura before: Jade, one of the rulers of the Indigo Cloud court and her entourage goes missing after trying to make a trade deal with other court.
Synopsis for those who read The Siren Depths: (view spoiler)
My opinion: (spoilers for first 3 books) (view spoiler)

► OVERALL:

Great stories, worth your time. Don't miss reading them if you want to read this series.
P.s. I really love switched gender roles in this series. It feels so... natural.

OTHER IMPORTANT INFO:
Standalone: No. Closely related to the main series, in fact, prequels and third book's sequels.
Point of View: Third POV, 1 different (mostly) character per story.
Cliffhanger: No.
Angst: Oh yes.
Supernatural: Dragonlike Shapeshifters and new unknown beings.
Explicit content: No. You know what happened but no descriptions.
Recommended: HELL YES. If you want complete Raksura experience and background stories, histories, and cute after stories of which the most important one is actually in volume II but it's worth it.

► REVIEW(S) RELATED TO THIS BOOK:

The Cloud Roads (Books of the Raksura, #1)
The Serpent Sea (Books of the Raksura, #2)
The Siren Depths (Books of the Raksura, #3)
Stories of the Raksura, Volume 2: The Dead City & The Dark Earth Below

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Stories of the Raksura, Volume 1.

February 8, 2016 – Shelved
February 8, 2016 – Shelved as: to-read
February 16, 2016 – Started Reading
February 16, 2016 – Shelved as: i-didnt-sleep-cause-i-read-this
February 16, 2016 – Finished Reading
February 18, 2016 –
100.0% "Great so damn great"
February 18, 2016 – Shelved as: type-book-extras
February 18, 2016 – Shelved as: they-are-so-cute-its-unbearable
February 18, 2016 – Shelved as: unique-or-different-story
February 18, 2016 – Shelved as: why-u-no-longer-u-make-me-sad
February 18, 2016 – Shelved as: lgbt-secondary

Comments Showing 1-1 of 1 (1 new)

message 1: by George (new)

George Jankovic Great review, Kristalia!