Anne (Booklady) Molinarolo's Reviews > The God's Eye View

The God's Eye View by Barry Eisler

I received a free copy of this novel from Thomas & Mercer Publishers and NetGalley in exchange for a fair and honest review.

3.5 Stars

I love political thrillers and the premise of The God's Eye View greatly interested me. In a post Edward Snowden era, the NSA Director has created the ultimate data, image, location, meta data Program - "God's Eye View". He will do anything to protect the U.S. from another terrorist attack, even arranging "suicides", "accidents", and the "murders" of any and all so-called "whistle-blowers". Even questioning these events can get a NSA employee killed. God's Eye is so compartmentalized, no one analyst knows what else is connected to God's Eye. And of course, the Director is using the program for his own personal use. Yes, the program the U.S. isn't supposed to have, let alone be using.

That is until, an analyst finishes the security protocols. You guessed it - she dies mysteriously. But she built in some backdoor access (probably for monitoring by her) and told her lover about it. Perkins meets with a reporter in Turkey. He thinks he's taken enough precautions to have been very discreet, but a young sharp analyst makes the connection between the two men. Shortly after their meeting and after Evie reports her findings to the Director, Perkins is killed in an automobile accident and the reporter is "kidnapped by ISIS affiliated terrorists."

Evie has information that links the Director to these events, and puts herself in the cross-hair sights of the Director. He has 2 assassins completely loyal to him. One, is a sadist that enjoys killing while the other is deaf and a tortured past. Manus can relate to Evie and her deaf son and also finds her attractive. Can Evie survive with these two men breathing down her neck? Will the country survive the The God's Eye View?

This is my 1st novel written by Barry Eisler and I'll read him again despite a few minor problems with the novel. A Size D heroine that gets horny every time she sees or hears from Manus? The buxom, but brainy broad theme got slightly weird and old. Her character and a few others weren't quite as developed as I felt they should have been. Marvin Manus was a terrific character. And the ending fell flat and a little short in my opinion. I wanted more information about Evie, Dash, and Manus in the Epilogue. That is why I knocked a half star off on this novel.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The God's Eye View.

February 7, 2016 – Shelved
February 7, 2016 – Shelved as: to-read
February 10, 2016 – Started Reading
February 10, 2016 –
page 10
2.4% " good night photo: Good Night 30.jpg"
February 11, 2016 –
page 350
84.13% "Oh, this is so good! But I can't keep my eyes opened or focused to finish the last few pages. \n good night photo: Good Night catcandy.jpg"
February 13, 2016 – Finished Reading
February 14, 2016 – Shelved as: read-around-world
February 14, 2016 – Shelved as: suspense-intrigue
February 14, 2016 – Shelved as: thriller-suspense
February 14, 2016 – Shelved as: winter-2015-16
February 14, 2016 – Shelved as: net-galley

Comments Showing 1-2 of 2 (2 new)

message 1: by James (new) - added it

James I loved the Barry Eisler "John Rain" series. Worth a look.

Anne  (Booklady) Molinarolo James wrote: "I loved the Barry Eisler "John Rain" series. Worth a look."

Thanks for the info. I'll check the series out, James :-)