☆ Todd's Reviews > Kings Rising

Kings Rising by C.S. Pacat

I'll just come right out and say it. The second book was by far my favorite.

In this third and final book, Damen's true identity of Damianos has been revealed to all, then he and Laurent had to work together to, once and for all, outwit both the Regent and 'King' Kastor.

I enjoyed watching Damen's battle-tested friendships with members of the Vere army being re-forged, after their discovery that he was their 'Prince-killer.'

I also enjoyed watching Laurent, the 'spoiled Prince,' win over the most hardened members of Damen's military forces, in spite of the fact that those men were sworn to hate him on principle alone.

But, if you've read the other books, Laurent likes nothing more than a challenge and the tournament scene, where he finally, decidedly wins them over, was my favorite of this entire book.

And yes, Laurent was *almost* as infuriating in this story as he's been in the others, especially with a few of the (dumbass) decisions that he made in the last quarter of the story. Christ, I wanted to punch him in the dick. Repeatedly.

But in the end, though, against all odds, and even more common sense, our heroes win the day and live happily ever after.

For me, the real gem in this story was not Laurent, but Damen. He was the (hot, muscley) teddy bear, while Laurent was more of an extremely prickly cactus. Did I like Laurent, sure, but Lord, anyone dating him had better be ready to lose an eye before finally getting close enough for a good cuddle.

I'd rate this story at around 3.75 stars and the series overall at 4 stars and say that I'm glad I read the series, but in all honestly, I do feel that $25 is a bit pricey for a series that's been out for years and years.

-----------------------------------------------

** NOTE: For anyone interested, I found a truly incredible fan art site dedicated to the Captive Prince trilogy, so if you're a fan, do check it out. It's all kinds of amazing. : )

--> https://kyroi.tumblr.com

-----------------------------------------------

Book 1 Review: https://www.goodreads.com/review/show...

Book 2 Review: https://www.goodreads.com/review/show...

See All My Latest Reads (Review Quick-Links)

-----------------------------------------------

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Kings Rising.

February 7, 2016 – Shelved
February 7, 2016 – Shelved as: to-read
May 21, 2017 – Started Reading
May 21, 2017 –
22.0% "**SNORT** [Damen on Laurent to Nickandros...]

“You’ve spent a morning with him and you're warning me off. Just wait until you’ve spent a full day with him.”

“You mean that he improves with time?”

“Not exactly,”
said Damen.
"
May 23, 2017 – Finished Reading

Comments Showing 1-19 of 19 (19 new)

Manda I've read the series twice now. Can you imagine my pain when I had to wait for the final book for YEARS? :D Anywa, gonna treat myself with the audio versions that are most likely out at the end of June. Imo they'll be perfect summer reads.

Laurent with his pricly nature is still my favorite. In real life I'd probably throttle him if I had to socialize with him.

message 2: by ☆ Todd (last edited May 23, 2017 10:08PM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

☆ Todd Manda wrote: "I've read the series twice now. Can you imagine my pain when I had to wait for the final book for YEARS? :D Anywa, gonna treat myself with the audio versions that are most likely out at the end of June. Imo they'll be perfect summer reads.

Laurent with his prickly nature is still my favorite. In real life I'd probably throttle him if I had to socialize with him. "

Hell no on the waiting for *years*. Nope.

And yes, just like Damen internally laughing when being asked if Laurent "improves with time" and he replied with "not exactly." ;- )

Manda Damen is a saint XD

message 4: by ☆ Todd (last edited May 24, 2017 12:43AM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

☆ Todd Manda wrote: "Damen is a saint XD"

You just know he'll track down Jokaste's son...

Achim Thanks for that review - made my decision easier if I want to read part 3 or leave the series with the good feeling about part 2

Gieliza I feel like Laurent was diminished in this 3rd book. A lot of his planning was left to chance. I just felt that he was less cunning here. I still loved this tho for all the reasons you cited: the tournament, Damen winning over the Prince's Guard again, Laurent winning over the Akielos army. Plus I really liked Makedon (I loved how Laurent constantly bested him with the power of his mind and then they became besties haha) and Nikandros. Also, that ending felt abrupt to me and I'm glad for the shorts which served as epilogues to the series.

☆ Todd Gieliza wrote: "I feel like Laurent was diminished in this 3rd book. A lot of his planning was left to chance. I just felt that he was less cunning here. I still loved this tho for all the reasons you cited: the t..."

Yes, it felt more flying by the seat of their pants, instead of cunning planning & plot twists for a surprising result.

And yeah, I wasn't the biggest fan of the Kastor resolution, which felt a bit thrown together compared to the rest of the books. :- /

message 8: by Ele (new) - rated it 4 stars

Ele Yup. We are totally on the same page. And same rating.

☆ Todd Ele wrote: "Yup. We are totally on the same page. And same rating."

HAHAHA, I was going to e-mail you to ask, but I figured we would be. ;- )

message 10: by Ele (new) - rated it 4 stars

Ele ☆ Todd wrote: "Ele wrote: "Yup. We are totally on the same page. And same rating."

HAHAHA, I was going to e-mail you to ask, but I figured we would be. ;- )"

☆ Todd Ele wrote: "Lol, totally. It felt underwhelming after the amazing second book. Lots of stuff just thrown together like you said, and things left for the reader to assume."

Limping across the finish line with a half-flat tire... :- /

message 12: by Ele (new) - rated it 4 stars

Ele ☆ Todd wrote: "Ele wrote: "Lol, totally. It felt underwhelming after the amazing second book. Lots of stuff just thrown together like you said, and things left for the reader to assume."

Limping across the finis..."

LMAO, yeah something like that. I can see why people loved it, and I did like it a lot too. But...

message 13: by Emma (new)

Emma so overall do you recommend the whole set?

☆ Todd Emma wrote: "so overall do you recommend the whole set?"

Well, if you're looking for an "Epic Saga" of plotting & intrigue featuring 2 male leads, definitely.

If you're looking for "Something Romancey", maybe not so much. :- /

Christelle Fab review, Todd. And I'm relieved you spared Laurent with only a slap on his dick, LOL !!!

☆ Todd Christelle wrote: "Fab review, Todd. And I'm relieved you spared Laurent with only a slap on his dick, LOL !!!"

Thanks. : )

I was just disappointed that I didn't find the story line in book 3 as strong as book 2. *sigh*

Christelle ☆ Todd wrote: "Christelle wrote: "Fab review, Todd. And I'm relieved you spared Laurent with only a slap on his dick, LOL !!!"

Thanks. : )

I was just disappointed that I didn't find the story line in book 3 as ..."

☆ Todd Christelle wrote: "Yes, book 2 was also the part I enjoyed the most. As for the romance you were so looking for, have you read the summer palace ?"

Ele & I were on the exact same page thought-wise, too.

I haven't read the shorts yet, but I do plan to. : )

Ariana Well said, sir, well said, indeed! LOL. Between teddy bears and prickly cacti - please don't forget to read the Summer Palace. It is the most epic epilogue to this series. :)