Julia's Reviews > The Unidentified

The Unidentified by Rae Mariz

bookshelves: 2011
Read 2 times. Last read March 13, 2011 to March 15, 2011.

I've been on a bit of a dystopian jag lately, somewhere in the middle of it I picked up Unidentified. What thrilled and terrified me about this book is that in some ways it was a reality that didn't seem so distant, in fact it seemed remarkably closer than I'd like.

Unidentified is set in a future where the education system is run by corporations - corporations who want to monitor and control trends, or find the next great innovator out there and get them while they're young. While every student is provided with basic technology, the best and brightest are sponsored by corporations who shower them with the latest and greatest items so the competition to gain sponsorship is fierce.

Kid is our guide through this intriguing educational system, no longer called school now it's the Game, and when a shocking prank takes place, Kid is lead off the beaten path and away from her best friend who is working hard to achieve all the things that the Game has told her she should want. Now she's asking questions, questions that are dangerous to a system that has bet everything on the concept that really all anyone wants is to fit in with the "in crowd."

The questions that this book raised lingered with me long after I put it down, as did the characters and the world it was set in. Riding out the highs and lows with Kid, I felt heartbroken at her hurt and betrayal and exuberant for her triumphs. Though I couldn't help but wish there was a little more to the end of the story, not because the author left any bases uncovered, but selfishly because I didn't feel like I was ready to leave it behind.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Unidentified.

Quotes Julia Liked

“I was like the runner-up to Miss Mediocrity and my prize was awkward silence.”
Rae Mariz, The Unidentified

page 212
March 15, 2011 –
page 296
March 15, 2011 – Finished Reading
June 21, 2011 – Shelved (Other Hardcover Edition)
June 21, 2011 – Shelved as: 2011 (Other Hardcover Edition)
Started Reading (Other Hardcover Edition)
June 22, 2011 – Finished Reading (Other Hardcover Edition)