Kathy (Kindle-aholic)'s Reviews > Hounded

Hounded by Kevin Hearne

bookshelves: uf

It had me at "Thor is an asshat" (and that was page 2).

Do not get the wrong idea here - this isn't a romp through mythology with Beavis and Butthead, but the bits of snark and pop culture references had me laughing (there are some fantastic Star Wars references as well - this geekgirl approves).

Atticus looks like a 21 year old stoner who owns a New Age bookstore. He actually is a 21 HUNDRED year old Druid who has spent most of those 2100 years running from the Celtic god of love (the Celts weren't big on cherubs, and this guy packs a mean punch). Just when Atticus seems to have found a place he can settle in for awhile, he is discovered. Fight or flight? Throw in a complicated "friendship" with the Morrigan, more deities, other mythologies, vampires, werewolves, witches, betrayals, new allies, and Oberon, his trusty Irish Wolfhound, and you have an adventure with a broad cast of characters that never gets out of hand and leaves you wanting more.

Add that's the big thing - I can't wait to get my hands on book 2 and read more about Atticus and the world he lives in. There are no cliffhangers, I just had so much fun reading this book.

I'm giving it 4.5 stars, because we're still growing into the character and his world. Great start to series.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Hounded.

Quotes Kathy (Kindle-aholic) Liked

Kevin Hearne
“It quickly became a tracking operation, though. My chariot could not keep up with his truck. By the time I caught up with him, his truck was parked in one of those asphalt wastelands. What are they called again"?
The Tuatha De Danann have no problem asking Druids for information. That's what we're for, after all. The secret to becoming an Old Druid instead of a dead Druid is to betray nary a hint of condescension when answering even the simplest questions.
"They are called parking lots," I replied.
"Ah, yes, thank you. He came out of a building called 'Crussh', holding one of these potions. Are you familar with the building, Druid?"
"I belive that is a smoothie bar in England."
"Quite right. So after I killed him and stowed his body next to the doe, I sampled his smooth concoction in the parking lot and found it to be quite delicious".
See, sentences like that are why I nurture a healthy fear of the Tuatha De Danann.”
Kevin Hearne, Hounded

Kevin Hearne
“What sealed the deal for me was that the cloak wouldn't come off without a generous donation of my tears. Those used to be almost impossible for me to summon, I admit, until I watched Field of Dreams. When Kevin Costner asks his dad at the end if he'd like to have a catch, I just completely lose my shit.”
Kevin Hearne, Hounded

March 13, 2011 – Shelved
June 14, 2011 – Started Reading
June 14, 2011 –
page 43
14.14% "Very good start. Already was laughing by page 2, and there has been some kickass action."
June 16, 2011 –
page 160
June 16, 2011 –
page 160
52.63% "I'm really enjoying this - love the mix of mythology here."
June 17, 2011 –
page 210
71.92% "Oberon - up there on my list of fantastic canine companions."
June 19, 2011 – Shelved as: uf
June 19, 2011 – Finished Reading

Comments Showing 1-8 of 8 (8 new)

delane Wish I could write what I think as well as you K! Perfect!
Loved this book and book #2 was great also!
Already have #3 "Hammered"...on pre-order.

message 2: by Kathy (Kindle-aholic) (last edited Jun 20, 2011 11:19PM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Kathy (Kindle-aholic) I'm really looking forward to the next one! How's things, DC? (And thanks, too!) :)

delane You are welcome!
Pretty good...still sluggin away with my 12 (sometimes 14 or 15 hours...bleck!) a day! Gad! I've even graciously (at least I think graciously) have made of list of what I'd be willing to live with if The Hubs thinks he needs to go to Walmart and see about buying himself a back-up-wife. He doesn't seem to keen on the idea yet, but since we're figuring I'm gonna be doing this till about Novemeber I think come around!
How's life in your pond K?

Kathy (Kindle-aholic) Busy this week. Lots of deadlines. I'm trying to unwind a bit right now so I can actually go to sleep. Kiddo is out of school, but we haven't driven each other crazy...yet. :)

delane My kiddos are off seeing the g-parents...so my house is pretty quite.....guess it's a good thing since I never see my house!
Don't let the deadlines kill ya! I'm miss ya too much!

Kathy (Kindle-aholic) I hope you get better hours before November - crossing fingers and toes!

delane Me too! And thanks! I will absolutely take all the help I can get!

message 8: by Maria (new)

Maria Schneider I think I must read this. Dang it sounds good.