Steelwhisper's Reviews > The Gate to Women's Country

The Gate to Women's Country by Sheri S. Tepper

Firstly, how can anyone rate such an atrociously written book as high as I see it done in hundreds of ratings? Dear me, I was wincing all the time while reading. The excruciatingly bad prose, including some horrific abuse of grammar, was having an effect like a severe toothache on me. Where was the fecking editor of this book? Because this sort of prose was in no way typical of writers of the 1980s (book is from 1987), when you get such female SciFi, Fantasy and spec authors as C.J. Cherryh, Ursula K. Le Guin, Marion Zimmer Bradley, Katherine Kurtz , Margaret Atwood, Anne McCaffrey or Tanith Lee. The sheer reading experience was awful enough already.

Then... why do I have the impression that a large amount of American feminist women hate men from the ground up? While I have read a couple of enlightening feminist books, even books which shoehorn feminism sideways into genre fiction (abovementioned female spec authors certainly did that now and then), there seems to be a large pool of female writers who have to hate men, who seem to hate their own gender as much in a way, who really carry boulder-like chips on their shoulders and somehow don't notice they entirely lost their grip on reality. Is it so easy to hate men in America? Does it come so naturally? Whatever the cause or reason: it disgusts me. It pushes me away from US feminism in a major way.

This book is misandrist, misogynic, gender essentialist, heterosexist, cissexist, homophobic, biphobic, trans*phobic and maniacally egotistic dross. It shocked me to learn that the author obviously supports the eugenics she writes about here! Good grief.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Gate to Women's Country.

June 3, 2015 – Started Reading
February 7, 2016 – Shelved as: unlikeable-mcs
February 7, 2016 – Shelved as: terminally-squicky
February 7, 2016 – Shelved as: sociopathic-hero
February 7, 2016 – Finished Reading

Comments Showing 1-3 of 3 (3 new)

message 1: by Warwick (new)

Warwick Ah…I do like a nice Steelwhisper rant to wake me up on a Monday morning.

message 2: by Steelwhisper (last edited Feb 08, 2016 12:47AM) (new) - rated it 1 star

Steelwhisper LOL, and there I thought you liked my Hugh Jackman gif with inbuilt balls ;)

message 3: by Yblees (new)

Yblees Heh. I didn't get past the first couple of pages, myself.
Definitely preferred her pure fantasy True Game series.