Addie Capaldi's Reviews > New York

Mar 12, 2011

liked it
bookshelves: books-read-in-2011
Read in February, 2011

Sometimes I walk down streets or through the park and try to imagine what things looked like hundreds of years ago. New York takes you on a seriously epic journey through hundreds of years of the city's history and does (as the cover promises) make history fun to read. I coincidentally read the chapter that included the Triangle Shirtwaist factory fire the same week that I went to the Tenement Museum with my students. There are a lot of fun moments like that where you can connect the city in the book to the city now and learn about why things are the way they are.

When people asked me if I was enjoying the book (I was reading it for a while, it is many, many pages) I often told them, I'm enjoying turning the pages. I meant that it wasn't completely slaying me, but I definitely felt compelled to keep reading. Some parts are more interesting than others (I think I liked the Civil War and early 20th century chapters the best). The toughest thing about the book for me was that I didn't really feel much for the people in the book. There are SO many because the book spans such a huge amount of time that it's hard to really get attached to anyone. The book isn't really about people, it's about the city. Overall, I would say it's worth reading but I wouldn't say it's a must (also the last line kind of irked me). Good for a vacation or long train ride or if you just want to brush up on your American history!

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read New York.