Kellie's Reviews > What You Have Left

What You Have Left by Will Allison

Mar 12, 2011

bookshelves: 2011-reads, bookclub-books, fiction-literature

Hubert Humphrey said “My friend, it’s not what they take away from you that counts, it’s what you do with what you have left.” I did not want this book to end. I loved everything about it, the characters, the story line, the writing style, everything about this book was stellar. The story is about a girl named Holly who is sent to live with her grandfather after her mother dies. Her father promises to come back for her but never does. Holly marrys Lyle, a guy she met while he was working on her grandfather’s house. All the characters in this book have flaws. The book bounces between decades and characters. It isn’t too hard to follow though. I think the theme of this book is, focus on the family you have with you. Everyone has their inadequacies and may have difficulty dealing with them but that doesn’t mean they don’t love you. It’s up to you to find a way to accept them for who they are and do the best with what you have left. The book touches on a variety of subjects, NASCAR, video poker, antiques, cars and southern history. I love the angles. Now, I’m trying to find other works by this author.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read What You Have Left.