Lamia's Reviews > Abandon

Mar 12, 2011

did not like it
bookshelves: mythology, 2011, young-adult
Read on April 26, 2011

This can also be seen at The Book Eater .

WARNING: This review contains mentions of wanting to throttle, strangle and maim book characters, and includes potentially traumatizing pictures.

Just look at this summary. Go ahead, read it.
It's amazing, isn't it? And the cover. It's gorgeous. The premise is mysterious, intriguing and lovely. I was SO excited for this book, you don't even know. I think my entire twitter feed knew the instant it was out.

This is why I'm going to be a little hard on it. Because my expectations were high, and there weren't met. At. All.

About the narrator:

This is what I wanted to do to her for half the book. UGH. What a vapid, idiotic, insensitive, shallow, boring person. She's everything I hate in a character. No backbone, changing loyalties, and just this carelessness that I HATE.

"Sure, I'd been kicked out of school. I couldn't seem to go more than an hour without craving a caffeinated beverage. And a guy I'd met while I was dead had popped by unexpectedly and caused me to be slapped with a seven-figure civil suit.
But I was feeling positive about the future."

... Excuse me???
LOL my daddy has to pay more than a million dollars to a guy but I don't care!

About the writing:

It draaaaaaaagged. She spent ages telling us about how she had been in the Underworld, and some bad "incident" had happened after she came back, but that the incident was different from the accident, and blablablablabla. My god, just get ON with it! The book is just so full of plot holes (like when Pierce loses her necklace, but somehow still has it around her neck?) and stilted, stretched out mock-obstacles.
Also, just like in The Goddess Test (which is also a retelling of the Persephone/Hades myth), the narrator keeps talking about "that"". Apparently, spelling out the word sex is a capital offense.

Oh, and by the way, Pierce hates Greek mythology, because it's "complicated and weird and had nothing to do with reality." How the hell do you want me to empathize with her? Seriously? SHE DOESN'T KNOW WHO HOMER IS.

*throttles narrator*

About the romance:

It was ridiculous. And the love interest? His name is John. I don't even know what to say to that. He's a one-dimensional, pseudo swoon worthy "dark" guy that we didn't get to know at all. He behaved all aloof-like and jerky and moody and suddenly bam! His lips came came down over mine etc etc. Of course, the rest of the world ~vanished instantly. Eye roll.

One thing I learned from this book: tassels?
BAD.

[image error]

EVIL. RUN FOR YOUR LIFE.

Needless to say, I would recommend this book to no one. I know it looks so good and you want to like it sooo bad, but... Yeah. No.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Abandon.

Quotes Lamia Liked

Meg Cabot
“Why would John bother using windows or doors like a normal person? Why would he bother to say hello? Just poof. Crunch. Bye.”
Meg Cabot, Abandon

04/26/2011
04/26/2011
45.0% "Why does she still have her necklace? Did I miss something?" 1 comment
02/14/2016 marked as: read

message 1: by rameau (new)

rameau I want to see the rant *chants*

Emily (Book Jems) Nooooooo! Seriously? :( Are you going to write a review?

message 3: by Michelle (new)

Michelle rameau wrote: "I want to see the rant *chants*"

I hath seen the rant. I'm sure she'll post it eventually.

Lamia Yeah, I'll review. I need to shout to the entire world how much I hate the narrator.

*throttles*

Seriously. I think my review will just be quotes with annotations like "lolololol" or "AAARGGGHH DSKSYHDOZIFHNSKJDHJ", like The Goddess Test's. Only this one will be much, much rantier (I'm making up words today.)

Emily (Book Jems) Lamia, solve the problem of awful books by rewriting every book ever, kay?

Lamia Emily wrote: "Lamia, solve the problem of awful books by rewriting every book ever, kay?"

LOL. If only I could write.

message 7: by Lucy (new)

Lucy I find I often want to slap Meg Cabot's characters around for overreacting. It's interesting this one is relaxed about something huge as opposed to her usual characters adn their meltdowns over the world's most basic rites of passage.

message 8: by Emilie (new)

Emilie I think it's safe to say that this book is going to be removed from my "to read" list. LOL

message 10: by Morgan (new)

Morgan F If this book is anything like The Goddess Test, that would mean I would despise it. Good review :)

~Tina~ Great review! And oh shit! We're reading this book next month...

message 12: by oliviasbooks (last edited Apr 28, 2011 12:33PM) (new) - rated it 3 stars

oliviasbooks Yeeees.... What about Instructions for a Broken Heart by Kim Culbertson ... ;-)

oliviasbooks But we'll have a lot to talk about.

~Tina~ I already picked this book up, but maybe we should change it after all. We still have time...

message 15: by Lamia (new) - rated it 1 star

Lamia Oh dear. Erm. Good luck? haha. I've never been a big fan of Meg Cabot's writing, so this wasn't a big surprise to me.
And Morgan, this book is actually worse. (view spoiler)

~Tina~ Aw crap! I'm not a big Cabot fan to begin with, but I really wanted to like this book. Oh well, I'll have to read it eventually.

message 17: by Janina (new)

Janina Uh-oh ... well, I think my decision not to read this book is now set. Sorry, bookers. But this would probably just be another flop à la The Iron Witch and Infinite Days. Although it's kind of fun to read books like those with the group ;).

message 18: by Lamia (new) - rated it 1 star

Lamia Janina wrote: "Uh-oh ... well, I think my decision not to read this book is now set. Sorry, bookers. But this would probably just be another flop à la The Iron Witch and [book:Infinite Days|7744064..."

I've never been part of a book club. I guess I'm too stubborn/random to read any other book than the one I want to read *right now* haha.

Jessica ~Tina~ wrote: "I already picked this book up, but maybe we should change it after all. We still have time..."

Man, that sucks. I have this on my Kindle already, so I will read it even if we change our group read...

LOL. The tassels bit cracked me up. ^^

message 20: by Nic (new) - added it

Nic Ah crap I was looking forward to this. Great reveiw though Lamia.

message 21: by [deleted user] (new)

lmao. A+ review.

oliviasbooks Jessica wrote: "~Tina~ wrote: "I already picked this book up, but maybe we should change it after all. We still have time..."

I own it, too, now.

message 23: by Shep (new) - added it

Shep I actually really enjoyed this book, but I also enjoyed your review and I see the validity in the points you make. Lol and seriously, I will never look at tassels the same way again XD.

message 24: by [deleted user] (new)

i 100 percent agree

message 25: by Hira (new) - added it

Hira Haha, this book is not on my TBR list but I received an ARC of it, so I think I might end up reading it at some point. I am sorry it disappointed you. But thank you for the heads up :D

Josheka i definately agree with you...it was highly pathetic and damn damn boring.

message 27: by Hillary (new)

Hillary Hujanen Lamia. I hate to be presumptious, but I published a young adult retelling of the Persephone/Hades myth earlier this month (before I had any clue that Meg Cabot was publishing one). I don't especially love Ms. Cabot's writing. In fact, I've never been able to finish one of her books. Not to self-promote, but if you are interested in young adult retellings of Greek Mythology, you may be interested in my recently published book, Pomegranate Blues. It has been feature on Telemachus Press' website, and is available on Amazon for a whopping 99 cents. Please check it out!

Persey Green is a teenage genius struggling to maintain average grades so she doesn’t stick out, her older sister recently died of a mysterious cancer-like illness, and her mom doesn’t seem to notice she exists. If dealing with survivor’s guilt and an increasingly distant mom isn’t enough, Persey develops a strange allergy to cold weather and snow.

Unfortunately, she lives in Montana and it’s the middle of winter.

She’s got a lot on her plate, but Persey is more concerned with Aides, the Greek exchange student who seems curiously interested in her, than the migraines that plague her every time it snows. Aides is tall, dark, handsome, and admittedly, more than a bit peculiar. But Persey feels a strange connection to him that both repels and intrigues her.

While she’s navigating the gamut of first love, Persey learns three disturbing truths. First, that through divine interference, Persephone, goddess of the Greek Underworld, was reborn in her. Second, Hades has returned to earth in the guise of an exchange student named Aides. Third, she is doomed to spend the rest of eternity as Hades’ bride in the Underworld.

Persey struggles for her independence in this strange new world, and although she revels in her growing power, she learns that her predecessor, Persephone, was driven mad by the dark influence of Underworld. She must make the ultimate decision. By staying with Aides, she risks her own sanity, but if she leaves she risks her life and the greatest love she’ll ever know.

message 28: by Mary (new) - rated it 2 stars

Mary Thank you for the review. I agree. I really WANTED to like this book. The final 50 or so pages were the best.

message 29: by Amber (new)

Amber Thank you for this review. I was just about to pick this up from the library, but now I don't think I will. I don't like wanting to throttle characters. It kind of ruins a book for me.

message 30: by [deleted user] (new)

I love this review good job

Eugenie hahahahahhaha u made my day .. He behaved all aloof-like and jerky and moody and suddenly bam! His lips came came down over mine etc etc. Of course, the rest of the world ~vanished instantly. Eye roll. hahahahah well it is the worse book i ever read

message 32: by Paula (new)

Paula Wow I'd the exact same thoughts of excitement when I first saw this book I actually took a picture of it so I could download it to my ereader. Now not so enthusiastic! Thanks for the save

Isobel M Meg Cabot didn't meet my expectations. The cover and summary looked just so good and it just dropped what I thought I wanted to read.

Caoimhe Griffin so im guessing you loved it.

Eugenie Caoimhe wrote: "so im guessing you loved it."

Angel It actually is a good story, to some people:)

Ishanavi hahahhahahahhq....ur review ROCKED i tell you!!!!!

Caoimhe Griffin Eugenie wrote: "Caoimhe wrote: "so im guessing you loved it."

well i love Meg Cabot books but this one i would not even dream about reading it again o even remember anything"

lol i was joking, it kinda sounded like you don't like this book.

Paulene Very. Well. Said. I'm disappointed too because the cover is amazing. But no matter how irritated I am reading Abandon, I'm willing to read it til the end to see what happens to Pierce's miserable life. Even if it kills me. God! My eyes are bleeding and my brain, I believe, is turned to slush. Hope I survive reading this. :I

hpboy13 Okay, good to know I didn't miss anything after throwing this book in disgust and never opening it again after 40 pages. Great review though! :)

Jenyy I soooooo agree with you! I've also expected much of her since she had always been. My favourite, but this book is just.no.

message 42: by Sam (new) - rated it 4 stars

Sam Totally agree. The book was slow. I was confused half the time. What is your take on book #2?

Ophelie98 HAHAHA LOL I agree with you GOD that book was boring

Eugenie Caoimhe wrote: "Eugenie wrote: "Caoimhe wrote: "so im guessing you loved it."

lol i was joking, i..."

lol u r right i dont . the way i could finishit it was by skiping pages until it comes to the end. i have never read such a boring book

message 45: by [deleted user] (new)

This was a good book..
You really have to like things that go with greek mythology. I didn't find a thing in the book that upset me. Every detail was great,and nothing dragged. Have you ever met a NDE person? They act just like Pierce. So her life was dull,but she is being followed by John,who is creepy..
IMO,It was great and Meg is a amazing writer.

message 46: by Ria (new)

Ria Louise oh my. i wanted to read this book. but it sounds JUST LIKE Existence by Abbi Glines. I had the same review on it as you had here. I'm gonna have to skip this one.

Natacha Varlet Guhhh the narrator!! Her voice ruined it!!!!!!! D:

message 48: by MK (new) - rated it 1 star

MK Couldn't have said it better myself. Thank you!!

onirica I absolutely agree. good review!

Jewell Luke I wish I could like this review in 7 figures! This book made me realise why hannah really OD'd to get out of this horrible and most irritating book! I occasionally glanced at a bottle of pills myself. Oh Buddha I cannot! I was so looking forward to it and then *splat* that's the sound of my expectations.

« previous 1