☆ ĄňŊǡƂėƮĦ ☆ ŞŧŎŋė's Reviews > Prodigy

Prodigy by Marie Lu

bookshelves: favorites, romance, young-adult

4.5/5

Even though this book took a little longer to read (over two weeks) it was amazing. I loved it more than the first book which I am so glad about.

The characters (June and Day) got even more intense in this book. They are becoming more developed and changing over time, as they should be with everything going on. First, there's June. I liked her in the first book but I like her even more now. She has obviously learned from past actions and is ready to move on in the future. In Prodigy, she is more aware of the corruption in the Republic, yet, she struggles with her feelings for Day and how their relationship could possibly work out given their backgrounds and their pasts together. Can they remain together even with the knowledge that June's actions in Legend resulted in his family being killed or taken from him? Are they simply too different for it to work being from opposite social and economic situtations? And then there's Anden, the new Elector Primo, whose interest in June was introduced in Legend and apparently is still going strong. June can't help but think that it would be easier to be with him but she is torn for her love for Day. Now, that sounds very "love triangle-y" but it doesn't come off that way in the book.

Day, on the other hand, was a little annoying in this book. June has been warning him about the Patriots and their leader but Day has too much hate for the Republic and what has been done to him and his family to listen. Doubts still remain whether June is loyal to the Republic which makes him, and the Patriots, not trust June as much. That and Tess, Day's friend, openly hating June. I have to say, I really didn't like Tess in this book but let's keep this about Day. Finally, though, Day changed and I liked him again.

I loved learning about the history of the Republic and the Colonies because that was left to be a tiny bit of a mystery in Legend. We learned how the country was split into two separate ones and how the outside world views the Republic (which I hadn't thought about before). We also learned what's going on in the Colonies (though, I would have liked to know more about them). I would have liked to know a little of this during Legend, but I have to say, I've loved this so far.

Finally, the cliffhanger. I couldn't believe that Prodigy was ending like that. It was so disturbing and upsetting! I seriously wanted to yell at the two of them seeing that last conversation.

I couldn't believe that had happened and when I started reading Champion I hoped everything would go back to normal right away. I was pretty upset for a couple of minutes (give or take a half hour). I guess that this was Marie Lu's way of getting readers to come back for more, even though they totally would have anyway.

I can't wait to read more of Champion which is really good so far.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Prodigy.

February 5, 2016 – Started Reading