Chris 's Reviews > The Wind Through the Keyhole

liked it
bookshelves: sk-group, 2012-read-owned, read-owned-hardcover
Read from April 28 to May 01, 2012

....

Uummmmm. What do I say? For as long as I've been on GR, I've seen the debate on the Dark Tower. Which story era is more enjoyable? The "present day (sorta)" ka-tet of Roland, Susannah, Eddie, Jake, and Oy. Or the "Young Roland" era when he ran with Alain, Cuthbert, and Jamie?

So as I'm about to start this book, I find out that many of the "present day" crews are disappointed because we get a little time with the ka-tet, only to have the story shift back in time with Roland telling another story of his youth, much like Wizard & Glass. That book seems to be either a least favorite or a most favorite with everyone. With me, it was a most favorite. So while they were lamenting the return to the early Roland days, I was excited.

But in the end, Ka got me too. King pulled a double switch on us, giving us a little Roland story within the Ka-tet story, only to have THAT one shift to a storytelling situation about a kid we never heard of from even further back. And I'm like, wtf? It's ok for a little bit, but it takes up half the damn book.

The actual story "The Wind Through the Keyhole" is this thing, a fable about a kid disguised and sold as a Dark Tower novel. Ok, so there are some Midworld references and sayings and society stuff built in, so I can see that. It was Midworldian. It was rather interesting to see some stuff in the long ago, before the world moved on.

But if it's always like that, I can see why it moved on. It was boring. That story didn't even feel like a King story. It wasn't bad. It started out alright. By the end it was even engaging. But the middle slogged on quite a bit to the point that I found my mind drifting.

Then we switch back to Young Roland and get a quick wrap up on that story, which was very intriguing and enjoyable. And finally, we switch back up to modern Roland and Ka-tet, getting a wrap up on it too. Which wasn't a wrap up as much as a "ok, we're done screwing around, let's get on with it" that leads into Book 5.

Crap, it was like reading Inception. Only not as good.

Half this book is 5-star material (Young Roland story, Modern Roland interlude). The other half of the book is 3-star (with some boring 2-star fairy chasing in the middle). We'll average it out and call it 4. I'm being generous, but it IS a Dark Tower related book. I won't call it part of the main series though. It's an extra, like The Little Sisters of Eluria or the graphic novel series.

ETA (1/27/2013): The more this book has settled in, the more I am bothered by my overly generous 4-star review. It simply doesn't deserve it. A 4-star should not leave a bad taste in my mouth 8 months after I've finished it.

It's worth reading, but simply does not measure up to the rest of the series, period.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Wind Through the Keyhole.

04/28/2012 page 35
11.0% ""There's nothing like stories on a windy night when folks have found a warm place in a cold world.""
08/30/2016 marked as: read
show 3 hidden updates…

message 1: by Kathryn (new) - added it

Kathryn :)

Angie haha my husband commented it is like Inception too!!!

Rachel I agree...it is more like The Little Sisters of Eluria or the graphic novels. It expands on the world but not the arc of the 7-novel series.

Scott Marley Very accurate points you made, I agree with them

Stepheny This makes me sad, Chris. I really enjoyed this one. I do see your points though and can understand your disappointment. The parts that bored you were my favorites. I love the fantasy elements of the Dark Tower much more than any other aspect. And I am a sucker for a kid fairy-tale type story! :)

Chris I'll reread it eventually, and maybe I'll feel differently with reset expectations.

Stepheny Chris wrote: "I'll reread it eventually, and maybe I'll feel differently with reset expectations."

Well, I'm glad you're going to reread it. I didn't mean to impose my views on you. You and I just usually are on the same page so this one surprised me is all!

Chris Yeah, it all goes back to expectations. If I had read this without several months of seeing advertising for a "new Dark Tower novel", I probably would have enjoyed it a lot more. Then the actual DT references would have been like uncovered Easter eggs, and so much cooler for all of that. Hehe

Stepheny LOL Yeah, I can see that. I just love any mention of the Dark Tower. LOL And like I said, I am such a sucker for a kid's fantasy story! LOL You know my obsession with Harry Potter.... haha

Chris Yeah, I might have seen you mention that a time or two LOL