Diane S ☔'s Reviews > The House at the Edge of Night

The House at the Edge of Night by Catherine Banner

Once upon a time there was an enchanted island, called Castellamare, located off the coast of Sicily. Within the island was an enchanted place, a home but also a meeting, eating and drinking place for the islanders, call the House at the edge of night. The island people worshipped their patron saint, Santa' Agata and on her name day celebrated with parades and great feasts. Families lived on this island for generations and many of them we as a reader are fortunate to meet. It begins with the arrival of a young giant of a man, Amedeo, a doctor who after a few missteps will find a home and love on this island. Will create a family and collect the stories, the folklore that the people cherish.

What a wonderful and fun read. This is a place, only the second after Three Pines of the Louise Penney books that I wish I could visit. Feel like I could walk up to these quirky wonderful characters, recognize each one and feel right at home. From this island we experience the war, the depression, marriages, deaths, happiness and sadness. The birth of new generations, the heartbreak when one decides to leave and make their home away
from the island. The sights, the sounds, the beautiful scenery, the fishing boats, the old men and women, the young. Loved the way this was told and wish I didn't have to leave, think quite possibly like many on the island I too would have happily stayed.

ARC from netgalley and Random House.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The House at the Edge of Night.

February 4, 2016 – Shelved
July 16, 2016 –
page 120
July 16, 2016 –
page 120
28.64% "My heart bleeds for the young Maria-Grazie. What is it about these young, staunch characters that slay me?"
July 17, 2016 –
page 275
July 20, 2016 –
page 320
July 21, 2016 – Finished Reading

Comments Showing 1-41 of 41 (41 new)

message 1: by Jen (new) - rated it 5 stars

Jen I want to visit! Great review Diane. I can't wait to get to this one too after the reviews I've been reading - including yours

message 2: by Pamela (new)

Pamela Wonderful review, Diane! You make me want to pack my virtual bags and go to the island. :-)

Linda Wonderful review, Diane. Have this one waiting for me. Now, I'm even more anxious.

message 4: by Sharyl (new)

Sharyl What an appealing review! I must keep this one in mind...

Dana Great review! I'm excited, as I have this book to read next. ...and I want to go to Three Pines, as well! :)

Suzy Enticing review, Diane! If this is second to Three Pines, I'm in! I just got on the wait list at the library for the audio - narrated by one of my favorites.

Karen Great review! I wanted to stay there :)

Angela M Love your review, Diane ! Let's have a GR friends get together on that island .

Karen Angela M wrote: "Love your review, Diane ! Let's have a GR friends get together on that island ."

That would be lovely!! :)

Diane S ☔ Jen wrote: "I want to visit! Great review Diane. I can't wait to get to this one too after the reviews I've been reading - including yours"

Thanks, Jen. A very likable book.

Diane S ☔ Pamela wrote: "Wonderful review, Diane! You make me want to pack my virtual bags and go to the island. :-)"

Thanks, Pamela. so wish we could.

Diane S ☔ Linda wrote: "Wonderful review, Diane. Have this one waiting for me. Now, I'm even more anxious."

Thanks, Linda. Will be looking forward to your thoughts.

Diane S ☔ Sharyl wrote: "What an appealing review! I must keep this one in mind..."

Thanks, Sheryl. A wonderful summer read.

Diane S ☔ Dana wrote: "Great review! I'm excited, as I have this book to read next. ...and I want to go to Three Pines, as well! :)"

Thanks, Dana. Love the characters in both these places.

Diane S ☔ Suzy wrote: "Enticing review, Diane! If this is second to Three Pines, I'm in! I just got on the wait list at the library for the audio - narrated by one of my favorites."

Thanks, Suzy. Should be awesome in audio especially since you already know you like the reader.

Diane S ☔ Karen wrote: "Great review! I wanted to stay there :)"

Thanks, Karen. Me too, this is one book I could have happily kept reading.

Diane S ☔ Angela M wrote: "Love your review, Diane ! Let's have a GR friends get together on that island ."

Thanks so much, Angela. Wouldn't that ne wonderful?

☮Karen Fantastic review, confirmed that I want to read (and go there).

Diane S ☔ Thanks, Karen and you definitely will want to go there.

PattyMacDotComma Oh, you do make me want to read it ASAP! Thanks!

message 21: by Kathleen (new) - added it

Kathleen Great review, Diane. The cover is quite interesting and it sounds like a great story. Thanks :)

message 22: by Dem (new) - rated it 4 stars

Dem Reading this at the moment and enjoying it so far Diane.

Diane S ☔ PattyMacDotComma wrote: "Oh, you do make me want to read it ASAP! Thanks!"

Hope you enjoy this whenever you get to it, Patty.

Diane S ☔ Kathleen wrote: "Great review, Diane. The cover is quite interesting and it sounds like a great story. Thanks :)"

Thanks so much, Kathleen.

Diane S ☔ Dem wrote: "Reading this at the moment and enjoying it so far Diane."

Very readable and very likable I think, hope you find it so.

message 26: by sue (new)

sue Fab review. Love the cover on this book

Diane S ☔ Sue1958 wrote: "Fab review. Love the cover on this book"

Thanks, Sue. The cover is kind of quirky, really matched the characters in the story.

message 28: by Esil (new) - rated it 4 stars

Esil Lovely review Diane. I love your comparison to Three Pines!

Diane S ☔ Thanks, Esil. Both unique places, quirky characters.

message 30: by Deanna (new)

Deanna Great review, Diane!

Diane S ☔ Thanks so much, Deanna.

message 32: by Maureen (new)

Maureen Great review Diane.

Diane S ☔ Thanks, Maureen.

message 34: by Lata (new)

Lata Lovely! I want to go there thanks to your review.

Sonja Arlow I agree with you, would love to have been able to visit this island, I want to to to the bar and drink limoncello with the characters. Lovely review for a lovely book

Diane S ☔ Lata, just saw your comment. Late I know, but thank you.

Thanks so much Sonja. I would love to do the same.

Jeannie I have to move this closer to the top of my TBR.

message 38: by Mike (new) - added it

Mike Lovely review, Diane. Wishing you didn't have to leave a book says a lot to me about the enjoyment of this one.

Diane S ☔ Ddfinitely, Mike. Enjoyed every minute of this ond and thank yoh.

Sharon Metcalf Yes Diane. Like you I loved the place and the people and feel I know it and them so well. Great review

Diane S ☔ Thanks, Sharon. Glad you loved them too!