Aleen ~Lampshade Reader's Reviews > Passionate Promises: Nine Promises to Stir Your Passion

Passionate Promises by Victoria Vane

A delightful box set full of magic, fantasy, and humor. But most of all passion!

To Challenge the Earl of Cravenswood by Bronwen Evans-5 stars

A saucy Cinderella type story. An interesting take on a classic theme and it did not disappoint. The characters were charming and the sexual tension was all but melting my Kindle.

Henry was a great character and proved to be real with his feelings and emotions. However, I did want to throttle him when his obsession with his mistress found him seeing similarities between her and Amy. But it did add that extra hurtle that they had to overcome and once Amy understood his reasoning, she proved to be a very endearing and compassionate character.

The story had humorous parts and had me grinning from time to time. My favorite being the search for Mr. Tinkles.

This is book in the Wicked Wagers series. It can be read as a standalone.

A Promise of Love by Ella Quinn-4 Stars

This story had a strong heroine with aspirations of running her Father’s business. However, she finds out that being a female denies her that dream. An American who loathes English men, she soon will realize that love does not discriminate.

“The very idea of an Englishman touching me is enough to make me feel ill.”

She does come off as cold and little stern. But that is who she is and that sets her apart from other heroines. It is her directness that attracts Frank, a man who is also wanting to prove himself, but yet, also needs an excuse to marry. For he wants to escape is overbearing Father.

It is with these two character agendas that make this story fun to read. The only thing that I found not to my liking were Jenny’s and Frank’s romance. It just did not seem overly romantic. But I had to keep in mind that their personalities were not that of typical romance characters.

A Kiss for Miss Kingsley by Collette Cameron-5 stars

*I had already read this story and loved it, just copied my past review*

This was a lovely short story.

Collette has a way of bringing to life each character. It is hard to dislike anyone!(Except Miss Rossington). She makes the reader feel as if they were right there witnessing the events unfolding.

The story takes place at a ball, where the two main characters, Olivia and Allen, already know each other. Three years prior, Allen had proposed to Olivia after a short acquaintance. She declined his offer to elope and asked him to wait a year. His response? "Like bloody hell I will."

There is plenty of hurt pride to be had between the two of them. However, of course it ends happily ever after.

Stirring Passions by Maggi Andersen-4 stars

One thing I can say about this story is that it made me say, “Wow, that is not how I thought this would go.” It started off to make it seem that Kate was going to have a romance with Lord Broughton. It had the makings of your typical romance but it really did not turn out that way. It threw me for a loop and it was like there were two stories being told.

On one hand there is Lord Broughton and his troubles and then there is Kate and Laurie, childhood friends and a one sided attraction (on his end) or so it would seem. It was like reading Kate grow up. She was headstrong and a little annoying, but she did not yet know her true feelings for Laurie. I felt a little bad for him and was not mad when it seemed like he was bossing her around, she needed that.

Kate and Lord Broughton stories intermingle and I liked the aspect of spies. But It did end a bit abruptly and I felt like it was unsolved.

A Pledge of Passion by Victoria Vane-4 stars

Two characters that were obviously meant to be with each other, find that fate has brought them together again. Much to Mariah’s chagrin.

I found this a very pleasant read, with dialogue that made me smile and secondary characters that were endearing. I found Lady Russell to be a funny character with matchmaking agenda and her penchant for laudanum while traveling to conveniently leave our two characters “alone” in the carriage.

It is book 2 in the Rules of Engagement series and can be read as a standalone.

A Highwayman's Honor by Michelle McLean-5 stars

I loved this story! I have a soft spot for a romantic Highwaymen and this one fit the bill! There is nothing like a thief (for lack of a better word) who is chivalrous and full of honor. It reminded me of Robin Hood and it was hard to put down. Swoon worthy writing and hero made this a very enjoyable read.

“Because you promised to protect me.”
“Always.” Jack kissed the top of her head and she shivered against him.

Major swoon!

I did wonder if our two almost star crossed lovers made it safely to their destination and if they truly did have a HEA. But I’m glad that their troubles were resolved. This was probably my favorite one in the whole box set.

Lord Quickthorn's Bargain by Barbara Monajem-5 stars

A magical romance with mischievous fairy folk that make this a truly fun read.
Lord Quickthorne finds himself beholden to a bargain to protect a woman whom one of the fairies is acquainted with. With the reputation of a Rogue he sets off to redeem himself and in a way, to recharge his own abilities, for he is part Fae as well. He meets Gwen and decides to grant the boon that she wants in exchange for satisfying his boredom.

I liked Lord Quickthorne, he was an entertaining hero and I loved that he was Fae. It was different than the other stories in the box set and it was refreshing and humorous.
Lord Quickthorne and Gwen’s romance was cute and magical. Their dialogue was funny and lighthearted. This story was the perfect balance of romance and magic.

Wanted by the Warrior by Violetta Rand-4 stars

Can’t go wrong with a Viking romance! Throw in some fantasy and it’s the perfect blend. Even if you do not know too much about Viking mythology, this story makes it easy to understand. It was an interesting blend of fantasy and romance. Victor and Sophia certainly had an attraction that even the Gods could not tear asunder.

However, this story does not tie up loose ends and has a cliffhanger of sorts. We learn that Sophia has powers as well, but does not go into further detail. I definitely want to know what’s in store for this two characters.

Never Tempt a Rogue by Christy Carlyle-5 stars

Felicity’s is a character that has resigned herself to spinsterhood. Acting as chaperon to her cousin Amy, she has decided that men are liars and can’t be trusted.

When a famous Rogue starts making advances toward her, it takes all of her energy to not listen to her own body’s attraction to him.

It was interesting to take the journey with Felicity to find her true love and figure out that not all men are scoundrels. I liked the dialogue between Felicity and Lord Lindsay. He seemed like the perfect hero. He was witty and fun. His teasing of Felicity made me smile and I knew that our heroine was done for the minute we were introduced to his character.

Felicity’s advice to Amy not to tempt a rogue comes back to bite her in the hiney and we all can sit back and enjoy her journey to find her very own rogue.

*I received this box set in exchange for an honest review*

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Passionate Promises.

February 4, 2016 – Started Reading