WhiskeyintheJar/Kyraryker's Reviews > To Lure a Proper Lady

To Lure a Proper Lady by Ashlyn Macnamara

Feb 04, 2016

bookshelves: historical, regency, series

Lady Elizabeth Wilde is the eldest of three girls and the daughter of duke, so when she begins to suspect that someone may be poisoning her father; it's up to her to take action. Hiring a Bow Street Runner to investigate sounds like the best idea but when she meets Dysart, her life really starts to take a different turn. Dysart knows all about polite society and finds the rookeries to be more pleasant and honest but when the starchy Lady comes asking for help, he takes the case. A carriage ride, shared lingering glances, and a connection that can't be denied start to make this a case Dysart won't soon forget. With two people society deems unacceptable to even share the same table, this duke's daughter and runner are beginning to want to share more than just confidences.

She is above you.

The first in a new series, To Lure a Proper Lady, was a fantastic start and introduction to the Wilde family. Our heroine, the eldest daughter Lady Elizabeth, is used to taking charge and being responsible. It seems her father has lingered in his bedchamber for years, suffering mostly from hypochondria. While Lady Elizabeth, Lizzie to her family, has been the head of the family for all intents and purposes, her character wonderfully stays away from the strong-willed (pig-headed) and brash (bratty) heroine traits that often accompany heroines authors want to portray as intelligent and leaders. Lizzie has the confidence, subtlety, and limitations (limited world view) of a woman in her position, a duke's daughter. These nuances, Lizzie can put together a house party on short notice and run a hugely staffed home like a general but has no understanding of the finances, the author wrote into the character helped give a feeling for the time period and Lizzie as an individual.

She'd learned about the man before her, but she still didn't know him.

Dysart (yes, I completely agree, the name is a struggle) starts off as a chameleon to us the readers as he adopts many personas to mask his true identity; it's clear immediately that he does this to try and keep a wedge between him and Lizzie. Along with Lizzie, we learn his true self as the story moves on. Decisions he made in his past as a young man are revealed to be quite noble if a bit overly aboveboard. As an investigator, I have to say, he's a bit wanting but as a hero, prepare to get in line. He's the bad boy from the other side of the tracks that is more hotly honorable than bad and maybe not so off limits. His backstory is a bit muddled but the way he treats and interacts with Lizzie in the present is why we're all here anyway.

To hell with the fact that she was a lady and he was hardly a gentleman.

The story thread that keeps our couple together is Lizzie hiring Dysart to help figure out if her father is being poisoned and if so, by whom? As I mentioned, Dysart doesn't do a lot to impress in this capacity. He makes a lot of lists and hems and haws over who could be guilty but I'm not sure any investigative action was taken, the answers kind of fall into his lap. What was this story's strong point and worth the price of admission was Lizzie and Dysart's chemistry. When they first meet, there is an instant spark but their coming together is gradually moved along in some pretty perfect steamy scenes (the papers flying, desk clearing scene is worth any price tag ;). For most of the book, I thought Dysart overshadowed Lizzie but towards the end, our heroine stepped up a lot.

Secondary characters did an adequate job of helping to round out the story. Lizzie's middle sister Caro weaved in and out and although I have a decent idea on who her character is, she wasn't fully flushed out. The youngest sister, Philippa, popped in for a few lines but I would have liked to have seen more of her. In fact, scenes of the sisters interacting would have added a lot to the story and characters, I missed their familial feel. Their father, crazy aunt, Pendleton (perceived enemy of Dysart), and Snowley the duke's heir all add to the story but weren't fully drawn out characters. The villain was believable but that whole storyline felt more to the peripheral with lightly sketched details.

As I mentioned the star of the show really is Dysart and Lizzie's relationship and their steamy hot scenes. Lizzie's character did feel a little uneven at times when her boldness/eagerness lightly emerged into the intimate scenes but she was never overly modern and I found myself not caring if her father was dying or not, as I wanted more scenes of Dysart and Lizzie trying to fight their attraction. This was wonderfully sweetly hot and a great start to a series that has me highly anticipating the next one.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read To Lure a Proper Lady.

February 4, 2016 – Shelved
February 4, 2016 – Shelved as: to-read
March 22, 2016 – Started Reading
March 22, 2016 –
17.0% "But put him in a dark blue topcoat, buckskin breeches, and Hessians, and he looked nearly dashing, if rough about the edges. But that slightly ragged quality— the hair a bit too shaggy, the coarse shadow of a reddish beard on his chin and cheeks— hinted at adventure. Perhaps even danger.\n "
March 22, 2016 –
50.0% "Sweet God in heaven, she’d never known a kiss like this. Any of the gentlemen who’d tried had been just that— gentlemen. Not Dysart. He’d learned the hardness of the world, and it came through in this intimate moment. But she drank in every last drop of the darkness he offered her and thirsted for more.\n \n "
March 23, 2016 –
70.0% "The next thing she knew, cool air struck the bare flesh of her thigh above her stocking, followed by the hot brand of his palm.\n \n This is all I'm giving you of this scene. I couldn't not comment on it because hot damn but y'all need to experience it spoiler free.\n Also, \n "
March 23, 2016 – Shelved as: historical
March 23, 2016 – Shelved as: regency
March 23, 2016 – Shelved as: series
March 23, 2016 – Finished Reading

message 1: by Ally (new)

Ally Why am I stuck on the name Dysart? And i will never forget that Sopranos scene. Ever.

WhiskeyintheJar/Kyraryker It's a bit of an oddball one, I said it out loud many times to try and get a feel for it, lol

message 3: by Ally (new)

Ally Kyraryker wrote: "It's a bit of an oddball one, I said it out loud many times to try and get a feel for it, lol"

hahahah, I would have to do the same thing.

message 4: by Gio (new) - rated it 4 stars

Gio
I cannot wait for this review.

message 5: by WhiskeyintheJar/Kyraryker (last edited Mar 23, 2016 05:51PM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

WhiskeyintheJar/Kyraryker Hahaha, I tried to be professional and not just put that the hero is going to star in some more than pg13 fantasies for me later ;)

message 6: by Jill (new)

Jill I'm gonna read this one....thanks for the great review, K!

WhiskeyintheJar/Kyraryker Yeah! I hope you enjoy it as much as I did :) Can't wait to see what you think of the hero.

message 8: by Jill (new)

Jill Kyraryker wrote: "Yeah! I hope you enjoy it as much as I did :) Can't wait to see what you think of the hero."

I'm a very hero-centric reader, so *fingers crossed* :)

Bubu Great review! Already pre-ordered:)

WhiskeyintheJar/Kyraryker Thank you! Oooh, excited to see what you think when you get a chance to read it!

message 11: by Candace (new)

Candace Great review, Kyraryker! :)

WhiskeyintheJar/Kyraryker Thank you! Hope you're having the same luck with your reading :)

message 13: by Jessica's (new)

Jessica's Totally Over The Top Book Obsession Great review Kyraryker :)

WhiskeyintheJar/Kyraryker Thank you! Hope you have a great weekend!

message 15: by Zoe (new) - rated it 3 stars

Zoe I am sold!! on to tbr it goes!

WhiskeyintheJar/Kyraryker I hope you like it, I really want to see what you think about the hero!

message 17: by Keri (new) - rated it 4 stars

Keri Great review Kyraryker, sounds promising.

WhiskeyintheJar/Kyraryker Thank you! I've only read one other book by this author but I think she has definitely improved.

Christina ~ Brunette Reader Wonderful review, Kyra! :)
Might give this one a go!

WhiskeyintheJar/Kyraryker Thank you! I hope you like it, can't wait to see what everyone thinks once they get a chance to read it :)

message 21: by Bubu (new) - rated it 4 stars

Bubu Right, so this comes out on the same day as JQ's book. I think I'll be in the minority for a few days ;)

WhiskeyintheJar/Kyraryker It always to seem to happen that no books come out that I want and then BOOM, five get released the same day that I MUST have, lol

message 23: by Bubu (last edited Mar 24, 2016 10:38AM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Bubu Haha :) Ikr! Well, I'll wait for you ladies to read and review JQ's book before I touch it. In the meantime, I'll be happily reading this one :)

message 24: by Christelle (new) - added it

Christelle You definetely convince me to read it !☺

WhiskeyintheJar/Kyraryker I hope you like it as much as I did!

Andrea (Catsos Person) is a Compulsive eBook Hoarder I love the lower status H/high status h. I have a special shelf for these and I'm adding this one to the collection! Great Review!

WhiskeyintheJar/Kyraryker Thank you! I'm usually the opposite, liking the lower status heroine and higher status hero trope but this one worked for me. (A little spoilerish if you don't want to read on......this hero isn't quite as lower status as he may seem)

message 28: by Gio (new) - rated it 4 stars

Gio Kyraryker wrote: "Thank you! I'm usually the opposite, liking the lower status heroine and higher status hero trope but this one worked for me. (A little spoilerish if you don't want to read on......this hero isn't ..."

I feel the same, usually like the H higher and h lower. With the spoiler you just got my attention. I cannot wait for this dam book now.

Lady Wesley Excellent review. I enjoyed this more than I expected. I have also just read JQ's newest, and if I had to chose which one to order on pub day, I would definitely go with this one. (I haven't written my review of JQ yet, as I've been trying to find a nice way to convey how much I did not like it.)

WhiskeyintheJar/Kyraryker I've been stalking your page all day to see if you had finished this yet, lol. Glad to hear you enjoyed it too!
Yeah, the reviews for JQ's haven't been all that favorable from a lot of people. Your advice is greatly appreciated, I'm going to wait on the library for that one.

Lady Wesley I just saw a review that referred to the hero as "catnip." Seems appropriate for Dysart as well.

WhiskeyintheJar/Kyraryker Oh perfection, yes, he definitely is catnip. I was so disappointed to see this wasn't being sold in paperback, love to buy my favorites in that format Dysart deserved it!