Wendy F's Reviews > A Game of Thrones

4019599
Mar 11, 2011

bookshelves: 2011, fantasy
Read from April 13 to May 02, 2011 — I own a copy

Wow, okay. So that was epic! It took me forever to read! Not that I'm complaining, because the book was really really good. I'm giving it a 4.5 stars, only because it's the first book and alot of things happened that were hard for me. No spoilers, promise.

There are characters to love (Jon, Bran, Arya, Ned), characters that you like but you're not sure you should (Dany, Khal Drogo, Tyrion, the Hound), characters you think you're supposed to like but you just don't (Catelyn, Robert, Sansa), and of course the characters that you loathe and despise (Cersei, Joffrey, Jaime). But almost all the main characters make you feel something.

It was well written with many many surprises and shockers.

I can't wait to read the next one, even if I can recongize that I need a bit of a break to read some light hearted books between. This is a very deep and dark story.

Hmmm, I wish I had a direwolf!

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read A Game of Thrones.

Quotes Wendy F Liked

George R.R. Martin
“Bran thought about it. 'Can a man still be brave if he's afraid?'
'That is the only time a man can be brave,' his father told him.”

George R.R. Martin
“What is honor compared to a woman's love? What is duty against the feel of a newborn son in your arms . . . or the memory of a brother's smile? Wind and words. Wind and words. We are only human, and the gods have fashioned us for love. That is our great glory, and our great tragedy.”

George R.R. Martin
“Never forget what you are, for surely the world will not. Make it your strength. Then it can never be your weakness. Armour yourself in it, and it will never be used to hurt you.”

George R.R. Martin
“...the man who passes the sentence should swing the sword."
"...a ruler who hides behind paid executioners soon forgets what death is.”

George R.R. Martin
“The man who passes the sentence should swing the sword. If you would take a man's life, you owe it to him to look into his eyes and hear his final words. And if you cannot bear to do that, then perhaps the man does not deserve to die.”

George R.R. Martin
“The High Septon once told me that as we sin, so do we suffer. If that’s true, Lord Eddard, tell me… why is it always the innocents who suffer most, when you high lords play your game of thrones?”

04/13/2011 page 28
04/15/2011 page 176
20.0% 5 comments
show 9 hidden updates…

message 1: by J.W. (new) - added it

J.W. yeah someone else who doesn't like Catelyn,

Wendy F Not. At. All.

Jaroslav Tuček Poor Cersei. Why does everyone hate her? What did she do? Not love a bum of a husband with more affection for a dead Lyanna and for wenches than for her? Try to protect her children? She'd walk over corpses, sure, but Catelyn wished nothing better for Jon...

Wendy F Cat was horrible to Jon, and I never liked that. Though I can imagine that it's a hard place to find yourself, raising and watching the child you believe is the product of your husbands affair.

Cersei is cruel to absolutely everyone. The things she did to Sansa had nothing to do with protecting her children. My argument would be that the ONLY people in the series, at least in the beginning, she was kind to were her children.

Jaroslav Tuček Hmm, I didn't get the impression of cruelty about her - for example she agrees to let Ned take the black (assuming Joffrey did not lie) despite him being very dangerous, knowing the truth about her children.

Maybe she is pictured in a worse light later in the series, but after just book 1 I hope she makes it through alive...

Wendy F That's true, although I don't think she was being kind. I think she was being clever.

Jaroslav Tuček How come? A dead Stark tells no tales. A Stark in chains is a valuable ransom material. A Stark on The Wall does her no good whatsoever, that's just pure mercy.

She couldn't even have been calculating to avoid a war with his release - the war had already started, and Lannisters were winning at the moment. I think she was just repaying his offer to let her go to exile before telling Robert the truth...

Wendy F Not true, there was plenty to be had by letting Ned live. Ned was the Lord of the North. Killing Ned alienated the entire north of Westeros. Letting Ned live, even on the wall, would have helped to bridge the bad feelings and further her claims.

But I suppose this is the joy of reading, two different interpretations of the same character.

Jaroslav Tuček The entire north was already marching on King's Landing, I don't think she could have been afraid of alienating them more.

Amusingly enough, killing Ned had exactly the opposite effect: after Riverrun was liberated, Catelyn advised Robb to sue for peace - since Ned was already dead, no use continuing the war. Well, her advice was not heeded, true...

Wendy F If I remember correctly, they were headed marching because they were holding Ned prisoner and the kids. By letting him go, to take the black, there was a potential to turn back the tide, negotiate.

Killing him, despite Cat, sealed the war.

Jaroslav Tuček Hmm, maybe you're right. She might turn out to be the evil lady with a plan after all. Can't wait to find out. Thanks.