Brody Williams's Reviews > The Terror

The Terror by Dan Simmons

U 50x66

liked it

I wish that I liked this book more than I actually did. It started out really promising, but it didn't stay that way. In my opinion, the first quarter of the book is awesome, the second quarter is pretty good, and the last half of the book is kind of dumb.
I'm not really a fan of watching horror movies, but sometimes I'll end up reading a good one. My favorite found footage horror movie - The Navidson Record, a fake horror movie that's the topic of what's basically a giant essay. If that sounds familiar, you've also read House of Leaves. When I started reading The Terror, I thought that it would end up being another one of my favorite horror experiences, but it didn't quite deliver.
I really liked the book's monster, but I didn't really feel like I needed the explainer at the end. I would rather have no explanation for something than have a rushed or lame explanation. This one was more rushed than lame. The ending seemed sort of rushed too. I almost wish I had just stopped at the halfway point and written EVERYBODY DIED THE END in permanent marker across the rest of the pages in the book - the book that I had checked out from the library. Actually, it's probably a good thing that I didn't do that.
The second best part, after the monster, was the bad decisions that led to the doomed expedition being left at the monster's mercy. Trapped in the arctic is an awesome setting for horror, especially against a monster that's at least as smart as you, if not smarter - The Thing, anyone? (I haven't seen the original movie yet, but I did read the novelization. And I saw the prequel also called The Thing for some reason.)
I'm going to stop this review now, before I tell you about another book or movie that's not The Terror.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Terror.

Started Reading