Joshee Kun (조수아)'s Reviews > The Jewel

The Jewel by Amy Ewing

liked it
bookshelves: physically-owned, dystopian, romance, fantasy

This is how the Jewel operates. Status is our sole occupation. Gossip is our currency. —The Duchess of the Lake

Honestly, The Jewel caught my attention because its cover reminded me of The Selection, which is one of my favorite series of all time (laughs wickedly). However, my superficial and biased attraction soon became authentic interest after reading the first chapter.

I've always been invested in dystopian and gender-related discourse, so I was inevitably intrigued by the premise of this book. Violet Lasting, a working class girl, was trained to be a surrogate for the upper class. In the Jewel, the center of wealth and power, she was then constrained to a life of sweetened pain, temporal wealth, and forbidden love.

The structure of Violet's problematic society was not new to me. It was basically just The Hunger Games all over again. In this case, the Capitol and its outlying Districts were the Jewel and its similarly outlying Circles. Furthermore, if the elites in The Hunger Games toyed with the Tributes for entertainment's sake, the elites in The Jewel purchased the surrogates for procreation. With that in mind, I was quite jaded while reading about Violet's dystopian world.

If I were to isolate Violet from her unique and fantastical powers as a surrogate, I would not like her as a character. I read this book eight months ago, and all I can remember about her is that she was often helpless, impulsive, and...horny. She was indeed headstrong and family-oriented, but I believe that I would not want to be friends with her in real life. Her flaws made me expect the worst of the other protagonists.

Fortunately, I experienced a paradigm shift when Ash Lockwood entered the scene. I was darkly pleased to finally witness my sex/gender being objectified in YA. Since time immemorial, males have been the proprietors of objectification, never the victims of the latter. Thus, it was very refreshing to get to know Ash and his emasculating history. Don't get me wrong. I did not actually like how he was being treated; I was just happy to feel a sense of gender equality. In light of their mutual form of suffering, Violet and Ash were practically perfect for each other.

As quick and engrossing as it was, Violet and Ash's relationship was not the highlight of the plot. The Jewel, like most dystopian novels, advocated the value of democracy. Unbridled romance was merely one of the characters' incentives for demolishing the Jewel and its ironically dependent citizens.

Overall, The Jewel was significantly predictable, but I somehow managed to like it because of its refreshing approach to gender equality. Also, if you're into literature which dethrones the upper class, you'll probably devour this book like candy.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Jewel.

February 3, 2016 – Started Reading
February 3, 2016 – Shelved
February 11, 2016 – Finished Reading
July 15, 2016 – Shelved as: physically-owned
July 16, 2016 – Shelved as: dystopian
October 5, 2016 – Shelved as: romance
October 5, 2016 – Shelved as: fantasy

Comments Showing 1-8 of 8 (8 new)

message 1: by Beatrice (new)

Beatrice ~ Confessions of a Pinay Bookaholic Great review, Joshua! :)

Joshee Kun (조수아) Beatrice wrote: "Great review, Joshua! :)"

Thanks much, Bea! I'm prepping myself for The Black Key. :D

Nicay │The Nerdy side of a Queen Great review, Josh! Are you going to her book signing? :)

Joshee Kun (조수아) Nicay │ The Nerdy side of a Queen wrote: "Great review, Josh! Are you going to her book signing? :)"

Hihihi thanks much, Nicay! I'm actually having a problem because the event's on a Sunday, and I have to go to church in the morning. I haven't been to any book signings yet, but I do know that fellow booknerds start to fall in line around 5-6 AM. :3 I could try to catch up at lunchtime just to personally meet other booknerds. Oh, and another problem is that my copy of TJ and TBK are from NBS, but my copy of TWR is from FB. Hahaha. I wouldn't get to have all three books signed. XD

Nicay │The Nerdy side of a Queen Joshua Gabriel wrote: "Nicay │ The Nerdy side of a Queen wrote: "Great review, Josh! Are you going to her book signing? :)"

Me too, that's my problem. But you can still be there even if its lunch. :)

Joshee Kun (조수아) Nicay │ The Nerdy side of a Queen wrote: "Joshua Gabriel wrote: "Nicay │ The Nerdy side of a Queen wrote: "Great review, Josh! Are you going to her book signing? :)"

Hihihi thanks much, Nicay! I'm actually having a problem because the eve..."

My conscience wouldn't be at peace if I go to the signing in the morning and just attend the vesper service at church. #Priorities XD I hope to see you there, if ever I do catch up! :)

message 7: by Sandra (new)

Sandra i've had my eye on this book for a while, but never placed it on my tbr because of some reviews i've read... but maybe it is worth reading.

great review!

Joshee Kun (조수아) BlueLilyxLilyBlue wrote: "i've had my eye on this book for a while, but never placed it on my tbr because of some reviews i've read... but maybe it is worth reading.

great review!"