Jennifer Corkill's Reviews > Darkest Hour

Darkest Hour by Tony Russo

Although Tony Russo published previously, this is the first book of his I've read. What drew me to the story was a young girl becoming a fighter pilot in an alternative, historical world. Heck ya! A girl being in a predominate male environment always grabs my attention. Briley is spunky, hard working, and feminine. She's everything I wanted to be at that age. I think that's why I gravitated towards Mr. Russo's narrative.

We see headstrong Briley lie her way into the military and put herself out there for failure at every opportunity. She's definitely not a Mary Jane. Not everyone likes her right off the bat. She's a farm girl, she's small, she's born out of poverty, there's probably dung and grass still matted in her hair! Briley is forced to prove she's good enough - that's something we do every day of their lives. Briley even has to prove to HERSELF she's good enough. As a reader, I felt as though I was along for the journey. There was just enough military jargon and plane dynamics to make her world feel real. When she's flying around in the plane, Mr. Russo's description of what she did made sense. I saw her pull the throttle, trying to keep ahead of the crazy flight instructor. I saw the massive city where pilots fly over to salute the residents. I even loved that hint of romance. It was done well without being overwhelming.

To me, believably is my biggest pet peeves. Mr. Russo does that well.

I am a fan - please finish writing book 2 because I want to see what happens - especially between her and that handsome pirate!
1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Darkest Hour.

January 1, 2015 – Started Reading