Andrew's Reviews > All the Single Ladies: Unmarried Women and the Rise of an Independent Nation

All the Single Ladies by Rebecca Traister

liked it
bookshelves: gender-studies

A pretty readable treatise telling us that a) there are more single ladies out there than before and b) we should treat them like human beings. To which we should add c) they're not sad cat ladies. At. All.

So points for style, but not so much for originality. Mind you, in 2016 do you really want equality to still be an original message? 'Cause that'd just be sad.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read All the Single Ladies.

February 2, 2016 – Started Reading
February 3, 2016 – Shelved
February 3, 2016 – Shelved as: gender-studies
February 7, 2016 – Finished Reading

Comments Showing 1-9 of 9 (9 new)

Anna Boudinot Gender equality will only be rendered unoriginal when it actually exists. If you are tired of hearing about gender equality, maybe you could help fight for it to happen.

message 2: by Alexandria (new) - added it

Alexandria Darcy I second what Anna said!

message 3: by Barbara (new)

Barbara Magro When we make as much money as men, then we don't have to talk about it anymore

message 4: by Robbi (new)

Robbi Bitner Seems to me Andrew's review was supportive of equal rights and not deserving of scorn.

message 5: by Ariel (new)

Ariel It is sad that to some, the idea of a women remaining unmarried somehow makes her deserving of scorn. It still happens in this day and age, trust me.

message 6: by barbara (new)

barbara Andrew, I come from a generation where I don't go around looking to be offended, so I found your review spot-on and humorous. What a pity the younger generation lost their senses of humor. On the old topic of gender equality, I don't feel equal. I actually feel superior--I can go to a sperm bank and procreate. You can't. Naner, naner. Just kidding--I suppose someone has to make the bank deposit. Yours in equality, : )

message 7: by Princessjay (new) - added it

Princessjay It is indeed sad that such an old hat as equality and female single-dom should still be regarded as original and shocking. The unfortunate fact remains, it IS so for a good majority of this country, especially by its politicians and policy makers. Further, it's one thing for an idea to become accepted as intellectually good, but social mores are that much harder to change. The kind of pressure a woman STILL gets as she moves to 30 and beyond, to get married or be regarded as weird and unusual, is ludicrous. What's to be done, except by pointing out its facts over and over again, and bring them into light of public regard until it becomes a permanent part of the social and cultural landscape.

message 8: by Amy (new) - rated it 4 stars

Amy Thank you for reading feminist books.

message 9: by Michael (new)

Michael Andrew: Not. At. All. ?? : )