Natasha at Book Baristas's Reviews > Last Call

Last Call by Staci Hart

Review on blog: http://www.bookbaristas.org/2016/02/r...

PSA: Stop what you’re doing and read this series. Not kidding. I’m feeling all kinds of emotions over this story and here’s one of the reasons why:

“Sometimes, you have the whole world in your hands, and you don’t realize it until it’s shattered, left crumbled and sparkling in your palms. That you don’t know that you’ve lived your best days, not until they’re gone. Not until you look back. That day –the day I walked away—was one of my greatest mistakes, and I’ve made more than my share. It’s the only one I counted as a regret.”

Tricky and Rose started off on the wrong page at the wrong time and everything kind of fell apart after that. Together, they just work, but their communication skills are incredibly sub par. Both of these flawed souls are prideful and stubborn – they were almost fated to self-destruct.

“Lost. Rose and I were lost to each other.”

Second chances aren’t for everyone and Rose is known for not handing them out so willingly. When Tricky screws up and leaves Rose (for reasons, I promise), Rose builds a wall to protect herself from ever being hurt that way again. I felt so much for Rose because she was obviously scared of being in the position of fire, but she was also not really opening her eyes to what Tricky might be feeling, too.

“Once you have something, you can lose it. It almost makes you wonder if it’s easier to be alone.”

Tricky has every single piece of my heart, except for that one scene when he didn’t (Staci, you kill me, a LOT). I can’t explain how much I loved being inside of this guy’s head; he’s vulnerable, yet stoic. He’s open, yet extremely closed off. He’s talented and successful, yet slightly insecure of his worth. He feels like he owes everyone the world, yet doesn’t deserve goodness and light in his own life.

“I suspect if there is a chance for you here, it’s the last one. Last call.”

I cried, laughed, revisited my old pals from WITH A TWIST & CHASER (the first books in this series of standalones) and fell in love all over again with Staci Hart's words. You could even say I was wasted on her words (all of the winks here). Cheers to another incredible story and another well-deserved book hangover.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Last Call.

Started Reading