Empress Reece (Hooked on Books)'s Reviews > Gated

Gated by Amy Christine Parker

25720369
Mandodrage Meadows.... Mandodrage Meadows is the name of the community that the "chosen" people in Gated live in but it's not just any community. Mandodrage is actually an anagram for Armageddon. Congrats to YouKneek &  Passionate About Books for guessing correctly!! : )

After 9/11, Pioneer, the leader of the community & "prophet", chose families (hence the "chosen"), to come and live in this secluded community to escape the evils of the outside world and prepare for the end of the world which his "visions" told him was very near.

This book produced so many emotions in me! If you ever followed the Waco story or read about Charles Manson's life you will see the similarities in this story. It was amazing how charismatic the leader, Pioneer, was. He had me almost believing in him. LoL The author does such a great job of showing you how these leaders and "prophets" think and act and she really makes you sympathize with the families that have chosen this way of life. I don't believe in it myself but I think have a better understanding of how these people become members of these cults (a term which they do not like) and fall under the spell of these leaders and "prophets." It was just a very eye opening and moving story. A lot of the kids that were in this community, grew up within it, so they have no knowledge of the outside world. They've never even had fountain drinks or seen a tablet, like an Ipad before! It was just an amazing glimpse into this world. A definite-must read!

If you like audio books, I would recommend listening to the audio version to get the full experience because the narrator is also fantastic!

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Gated.

February 3, 2016 – Started Reading
February 3, 2016 – Shelved
February 3, 2016 – Shelved as: zzexp_2016-dystopia-challenge
February 3, 2016 – Shelved as: zzexp_2016-read
February 3, 2016 – Shelved as: dystopian-post-apocalyptic
February 3, 2016 – Shelved as: audiobook
February 3, 2016 – Shelved as: ya
February 4, 2016 –
30.0% "The setting of this book, Mandodrage Meadows, on the surface, is just a small community of people. But "appearances can be deceiving"...\n \n Mandodrage is actually an anagram for something much more then that.\n \n Can you guess the true meaning of Mandodrage?\n \n  "
February 5, 2016 – Shelved as: first-in-series
February 9, 2016 – Finished Reading

Comments Showing 1-2 of 2 (2 new)

message 1: by Candace (new) - added it

Candace Great review, Reece! I'm adding it to my audiobook queue. :)

message 2: by Empress Reece (Hooked on Books) (last edited Feb 12, 2016 07:49PM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Empress Reece (Hooked on Books) Thank you!...that's great! : ) I really hope you like it!