Charlaralotte's Reviews > The Torah: The Five Books of Moses

The Torah by Anonymous

Feb 13, 2008

it was ok
bookshelves: read-in-2007
Recommended to Charlaralotte by: God (via Moses). It was a very long speech.
Recommended for: atheists
Read in August, 2007

Scared the heck out of my parents during the couple weeks I was reading this baby. Oh, I read the Large Print edition. Much easier on the eyes.

From a literary perspective, it was in dire need of a good editor. I mean, every time God tells Moses something, we get the complete text of his speech. Then, we get the exact same text again when Moses tells everyone what God said. REDUNDANCY. Could have really tightened this piece up to make the plot move much swifter.

Had problems liking anyone in this book. God was a jerk. Moses wasn't so nice. And the rest were a bunch of gossipers, back-stabbers, and liars.

Also, could we limit the number of animals we have to slaughter? The gods must be crazy!

Some nice bits about how if your slave won't leave when you free him, take an awl and drive it through his ear into your door. That's awkward.

Actually, the best bit was toward the end when they talk about helping your friends and family. Those bits were quite lovely and rational & I got a sense of where the Jewish half of my family picked up their codes of generosity.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Torah.

Mark Hoffman Cute.

message 2: by Dr (new)

Dr Shai I'm not going to criticize your disbelief, but why all the disrespect?

message 3: by Ali (new) - added it

Ali Gibbs Currently reading the bible and God is appearing as a jerk (genesis, Job too which isn't part of the Torah)

Yeshourun @Silvia, are you high?

message 5: by Luke (new)

Luke It's not helpful to evaluate ancient texts from modern standards. These books reflect an ancient society with vastly different beliefs than ours and they should be read as a window into them. Having a completely negative view of everything in them is just as unhelpful as fundamentalists who ignore criticism. These stories are myths, yes, but they are no stranger than say, The Illiad or Gilgamesh.

Britain is only Country remove 'Murica 10/10 would drink tea to